Joey George, Staff Writer

How long do Christmas movies last? There are many different Christmas movies that have been released in these past few decades and they have all seemed to last for a pretty long time. Some key movies are the “Home Alone” movies, “Elf”, “The Santa Claus”, “Frosty the Snowman”, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer”, “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”, and “A Christmas Carol”.

Some of these movies have lasted a while, for example, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” was made on December 6, in 1964. This also goes for Frosty the Snowman because it was released on December 7, 1969. Rudolph was released around 58 years ago and is still a Christmas classic today. According to Matt Webb Mitovich on TVLine, “Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer” reached 5.7 million total views back in 2020.

The first “Home Alone” movie is a little different, however. The movie was first released on November 16, 1990 which is 32 years ago. Even if it’s 26 years after Rudolph, it’s still a Christmas classic. The nostalgia and popularity of the movie indicate whether it’s a classic or not. The big question is how long will these classics stay classics. 

Freshman Will Brooker was asked what his favorite Christmas movie is and he replied with Christmas Vacation.

“It’s a classic because a lot of people like it,” says Brooker.

Brooker also said that when people stop rewatching the movie it loses fame and stops being a classic.

Sophomore Ben Kreuz was also asked what Christmas movie he liked and he answered with The Grinch.

“It is a classic because it was made long ago,” says Kreuz. 

He also said that when the movie gets old or, in other words, people rewatch it too much, then it loses its title as a classic.