Month of Caring

Month of Caring

February has many students around Chardon High School wondering exactly what will be occurring, as both a celebration of life as well as mourning the loss of Danny Parmertor, Demetrius Hewlin, and Russell King, Jr.

Earlier in the school year, surveys were passed out to every student regarding what they would like to see happen throughout the month of February. A mix of administrators and students has been working tirelessly to try and take everyone’s thoughts into mind.

Overall, February of 2014 has been designated as a “month of caring,” which will consist of many different service projects that will be taking place as a way to give back to the community. The spotlight service project will be the Think Kindness shoe campaign, but other service projects include Teens for Jeans and Heart 2 Heart Senior’s Dance. Several guest speakers will also be coming to Chardon and the front yard of the high school will once again host a multi-denominational prayer service the evening of February 27th.

The Think Kindness shoe campaign will kick off on February 5th, and the goal is for the community to raise 2,000 pairs of shoes by February 20th.  Any gently used shoes can be donated, and 20% of the donations will be given to local Northeast Ohio charities while the other 80% will be going to international causes. Anyone is able to participate in this project. Drop-off locations include Chardon High School, and Chardon area churches, which can accept donations from February 5th through February 20th. Chardon Library will be able to accept donations from February 5th through February 19th. St. Mary’s will collect shoes on February 19th, which will coincide with one of the guest speaker’s visit.

Teens for Jeans will accept gently used pairs of jeans from February 11th through February 13th at Chardon High School. From here they will be donated to Aéropostale to help in their effort to give to needy teens.

The Heart 2 Heart Senior’s Dance will take place on February 14th from 10 am through 1 pm at Chardon United Methodist Church. This will be a dance for senior citizens and Chardon students to attend.

The first guest speaker to be coming to Chardon will be the principal of Columbine High School, Frank DeAngelis. He will be speaking at St. Mary’s on February 19th at 7 pm. This is open to the community.

The other guest speaker to be coming to Chardon will be for the high school on February 27th. His name is Bobby Petrocelli and is the author of 10 Seconds Will Change Your Life Forever.

With an anxious community of students, staff, and Chardonians, Chardon High School is sure to put on a thoughtful month of February.