Tribe Brings Baseball Back to Cleveland

Tribe Brings Baseball Back to Cleveland

Jason Giambi, rounded the bases on Tuesday, September 24 in joyous celebration.  The 42 year old had just broken his own record of being the oldest player in Major League history to hit a walk-off home run, and it could not have come at a better time.  The Cleveland Indians needed to win against the White Sox to remain in the playoff picture.  This game and the subsequent night’s game, a seven to two win versus the White Sox, were just the prelude for what was a great final homestand for the Tribe.  The last two years, the Tribe looked like they were going to make the playoffs for the first time since 2007, but managed to collapse in the second half of the season.  This year the Indians started out playing well, but many Clevelanders still were skeptical about supporting the team, leading to low-attendance numbers.  But this year, the Indians won their final ten games and were in the playoffs leading many fans to believe in them again.  As of late, the Tribe drew over 30,000 fans for a weeknight game in September and has sold out their first playoff game.

“I’m telling you baby, we’re bringing the wild card game back to the 216 and that place is going to be packed out and rocking, baby.”  Cleveland Indian Nick Swisher told Cleveland Plain Dealer reporter, Paul Hoynes.  Indeed there was great excitement surrounding the Indians this year after new manager Terry Francona took a team that lost 94 games a year ago, into a playoff team this year, improving the team’s record by 24 games.

“We’re thrilled we can bring playoff baseball back to Cleveland again” Indians owner Paul Dolan told The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Zach Meisel.  The Dolans have been criticized in the past for not spending money on the team, but last winter they came through, signing Nick Swisher and Michael Bourn, two all-stars, among other solid players including Giambi, the hero on that Tuesday night.  Manager Terry Francona also told Meisel that there were “about 16 or 17” players that could have been the most important.

“No, I didn’t think they would be this good,” Junior Kyle Grimm commented when asked about his expectations coming into the season.  However Kyle is still skeptical about their playoff chances, “They are going to have to win every single game” he said also adding “they are big underdogs.”

Despite the frustrating end to this season, it will be remembered as a successful special season that got people believing in Cleveland Indian baseball again.