Chardon talent displayed at art show

It is the time of the year again for the art show. This year’s art show features pieces of student’s artwork from all over the Geauga County area. A wide variety of work from many different students of all ages is entered into this show.

This art show is located in Middlefield at the Middlefield Historical Society. The Historical Society is sponsoring the twenty-eighth annual art show, which is officially known as the All County Invitational Student Art Show. Student’s work from many different schools will be on display for two weekends. The first opening was two weeks ago on April 13 to 14, and the last opening was open last weekend, April 20 to 21. The hours of the art show were 11:00 am to 4:00 pm. The art show is free and open to the public.

This year, the art show features art pieces from over eighty Chardon students alone. While the majority of the students whose work is in the show are high school students, there are a few students from the middle schools in the Geauga area.  There is a wide selection of work that includes many different subjects. The pieces submitted into the art show are anything from paintings to sculptures, and they are chosen carefully by the art teachers. Mr. Zitko, Chardon High art teacher, says, “I choose the art work over the course of the whole year. I try to pick based on the variety of work, because each piece is individual. Of course, I also consider the quality of the piece.”

Many art pieces are prints, created by linoleum blocks. Sarah Ramos, a freshman, has her printing work in the show. She says, “I’m happy to be part of the art show, because I like to have my effort paid off.”

Meghyn Ellis, freshman, says, “Although I didn’t go to the show this year, I usually like to see the other pieces done by students. It’s interesting to see how students’ work progresses throughout the year.”

Over the school year, a range of work is created in art class. Students have created portraits, still life, realistic and unrealistic pieces. With these works, there are also many different mediums used, such as pastels, paint, ink, or graphite. Because of the assortment of work, there are a lot to choose from and only the best work gets submitted into the art show.