The “Bravest” Outfield

The Atlanta Braves are somewhat of a surprise this year. The management has pulled out all the stops and has put together one of the top outfields in the entire league. Jason Heyward, B.J. Upton, and Justin Upton are combined in this stud outfield. And yes, the two Uptons mentioned are in fact brothers. The biggest question right now is whether this tremendous outfield has the chance to do something only two other teams have done. Will the Braves’ outfield be able to combine for 90 home runs in a season? Mr. Merkle, current study hall teacher, was not phased at all. “I saw it coming. The Upton brothers are my boys. I knew they would come through this year.”

The only other two teams to do this were the 1941 Yankees, with household names such as Joe DiMaggio, and Charlie Keller, and the 1963 Twins, with Harmon Killebrew leading the way at 45. The Braves are in a heated race for the best outfield, competing with the vaunted Washington Nationals, with a face of the MLB, Bryce Harper.

Looking at last year’s totals, Heyword hit 27 homers. But, at only 23 years old, he might just be evolving into his prime. Jason is primed to have a breakout power season. The Upton brothers combined to hit 45 last season, with B.J. owning 28 of those. Both brothers are in their mid 20’s, with a couple years of major league experience under their belts. It is absolutely possible for each to hit 30 this year, but what will likely happen is Heyward will hit over 30. If this happens, and B.J. has another season like he had last year, then it will give Justin Upton some breathing room to perform. Senior Jack Glaser said this of the tremendous outfield. “You can’t get a hit on ‘em, but they will hit off of you all day.”

All in all, it will be an exciting race to watch. They are already at 8 homers, with Justin having a stellar year, producing 6 of those. I think it is possible for them to hit 90, and it will be interesting to see how pitchers throw to them once they get on a hot streak.