Jake Hamblen: The Laid-Back Louis Armstrong

“Outgoing, friendly, and motivating” says junior Hannah Bena. “Those are three words that describe Jacob best.” Jake Hamblen is not just a typical high school student. He plays the trumpet in various school bands, sings in choir, and acts in school plays and at the Geauga Lyric Theater. Sure, he may have various talents in the fine arts, but what makes him different him from the rest of the group?

Jake is well-known in band. From rocking out in Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, and Marching Band, he is associated in just about every program at Chardon involving a musical instrument. He is even involved in the horn section of the band Top Ten For Terrence.

Sophomore Adam Brown, although annoyed by Jake at times, still acknowledges that “Jacob is a funny, likable guy”, but jokingly adds, “I’m a better trumpet player.” While Jake can certainly play the trumpet well, it is his presence that somehow brightens the mood of everyone around him. While he may be late to practice, and accidentally play too early, he seems to not be bothered by the little things. His only focus is to play music with his good friends. Both seniors Andrew Ferris and Connor Ingram agree that “[Jake] probably isn’t looking to make a career out of music, but he’s still one of the best trumpet players at CHS.” However, freshman Michael Ricci believes otherwise, saying “Jake could use his talent to make a good living for himself.”

As Hannah Bena said, Jake is “motivating”. While he may not be extremely serious or focused at times, it is this laid back, relaxed attitude that, strangely, motivates everyone around him.

Jake is planning on attending the University of Akron to get a degree in computer engineering. Jake says he was able to become a talented musician and singer from “hard work and dedication. As for the singing, I’m not really sure! I’ve always sung for theater but never took lessons until recently.” His advice to underclassmen is “Don’t dawdle your time in high school by doing things you hate (except schoolwork of course), but rather get involved in something crazy and fun and enjoy yourself.”