Cole Kornell in the spotlight

Cole Kornell has been an artistic role model ever since he was born on November 29, 1994 to parents Stephanie and Keith Kornell. Many of Cole’s early memories revolve sitting on the couch watching movies with his dad. “Whenever my dad would laugh, I would laugh because he was laughing,” Cole comments. Keith Kornell inspired Cole to start making films, which he started doing in fourth grade and has since progressed into a career. Cole talks about how his dad was the first one he talked to about making his dream into a reality, his dad has always supported him and become more involved with it himself. Since Cole’s desire to go into a career of acting and directing his dad has started writing his own screen plays. Mr. Reiter his fourth grade teacher encouraged his dreams by letting him film during school. I remember everyone in the class wanting to be in it, and Cole was able to spark the creative side in all of us. Mr. Reiter wasn’t always on board with the idea though “He had big plans and I wasn’t sure if it would all come together.” He recalls many times when he might have put off Cole’s idea. “He continued to push and nudge for approval of his big plan, so I finally said okay let’s go for it. Luckily he didn’t give up on his vision.”

He made many movies in those early days: Conquest Freedom 1 and 2, then going on in to the ninth grade he created Curse of the Beast. Even though Cole’s dream is to also be the man behind the camera, he is usually found in the spotlight. One of Cole’s fondest memories from high school is being on stage with the crowd watching. He has been very active in our school plays and is most often the comic relief character. Junior Erin Grantham comments on his acting “He has a very unique artistic style that is all his own including being able to do impressionable voices. Cole recommends drama for anyone who is weird or different because they will accept you no matter what. He says “It’s also a great way to meet new people or people you haven’t really talked to before.”

His accomplishments in acting are long listed some include best supporting actor in Secret Garden and best feature actor in Wizard of Oz at the Ovation awards. He also received best male teen actor at an indie festival.  This year he has obtained his first paying directing job, but Cole has never thought of it as a job though and more like a dream come true. One of the hardest questions Cole has had to face is whether he wants to pursue acting or directing. He actually would prefer both his dream is to become a director/ actor and own his own company producing from Korneluk Films.

I think that Cole is a very inspirational person to our class he is always very involved. He takes part in theatre, choir, and Free Harmony. He always inspires kids to show their creative side.  One thing his classmates really admire is how he is not afraid to be who he is. Senior Rachel Teuscher recalls her favorite thing about him “He is so outgoing and excepting of who he is, Cole has never been afraid to speak his mind.” Erin recalls his best quality as “He can always make someone laugh no matter how bad of a day they are having just by being himself.” Junior Jillian Cressman admires that he reaches out to shy students and makes them feel comfortable with his humor. In addition Mr. Reiter says the thing that stood out most about Cole was his persistence. Cole has been involved with our school joining Project Linus and making a tribute video for February 27. Most see Cole continuing in his entertainment career. Mr. Reiter expects “To see Cole maybe in front of the camera, but probably behind the camera.”  Erin says “I see him working on different movies or projects and still learning all about it and making a name for himself.” Teuscher sees him producing short films and designing animation.

Next year he is attending Ringling College of Art and Design. He hopes everyone remembers that “I always had fun no matter what I was doing.” Cole is excited to go to college next year “I will miss people when I leave, but I’m ready to begin my life.”