Calvin Bruening: Beatboxing, Skateboarding Beast

The ChardonHigh School class of 2013 is definitely a talented one. Amongst the various talents, beatboxing is something that isn’t taken up too often. Have you ever been walking the halls of Chardon High and happened to hear a sequence of percussion patterns that sound like they were being produced by a drum pad? Well, that was most likely Calvin Bruening doing one of his many hobbies and talents. Calvin’s talent is somewhat known about, and to people like senior Max Lowther, they think that, “Calvin has the sickest beats.” The people that Calvin claim influenced him and his beat boxing style are Chardon graduates Cody Adams and Alex Phillips. “He’s really good at beatboxing, and really anything he tries.” Senior Rachel Glaser commented.

Because beatboxing is done with your mouth and respiratory system; he tends to do it just about everywhere he goes. Along with beatboxing, Calvin has other talents; skateboarding and occasionally doing flips are some things that he also enjoys doing. He’s been skateboarding for a few years now and has been doing flips for longer. “We’re friends and I skate with him a lot, he’s sick at skating.” Stated senior Ryan Parent, who is a friend of Calvin’s; he also used to take gymnastics when he was younger as well, which explains his ability to sustain his balance for an allotted amount of time. “He’s so good at skating and beatboxing, and he’s fun to hang out with.” Senior Patty Leistiko said.

“I’ve hung out with him before, he’s a really funny kid and yeah, he’s really good at beatboxing.” Senior Mitch Weber said. Calvin Bruening turns to skating and beatboxing to help him unwind at the end of the day. He aspires to move to Columbus after high school and attend ColumbusStateUniversity temporarily before transferring out to OhioUniversity.