Billy Weaver: weaving his way to the top

The years at Chardon High have come to a close for many seniors, including Billy Weaver. Optimistic, kind, and artistic are all good qualities that fit Billy well. Many people can recognize Billy’s artistic talent and his overall kindness and generosity towards others. His personality shines through when he is helping out his freshman during mentoring and through his amazing art. Many people have good things to say about his work. Senior Sam Wilkes, a friend of Billy’s and a fellow mentor, says, “He is the most talented Billy Weaver of this school. Seriously, though, he’s really talented.”

Billy says that he has had a passion for art since around seventh grade. He has taken art classes all throughout his years at high school and is currently in the Art 4 class. During his time in art, Billy has created many pieces that have been entered in numerous art shows. He has won numerous awards with his art, including the Artistic Creativity Award. “Billy has a crafty sense of humor that reflects his artwork. He’s unafraid of his humor and he seems to really believe in his cartoony drawings,” Mrs. Steytler says. “He also has this ability to tune into whoever he’s talking with and he listens really well. I hope I know Billy for the rest of my life; I’ll never forget him.”

Freshman Kayla Brown says, “In mentoring class, I’ve occasionally seen him draw. He’s really good at it and I think he can use his talent and go far with it.”

Apart from his artistic talents, he is very skilled with plays and the like, and has been involved in many of them throughout his years at the high school.  Freshman year, Billy was in One Acts. Sophomore year, he was in sound crew for the talent show. As a senior, he was in One Acts and took part in the musical.

Billy says he learned a lot about the ways of high school and the attitude that comes along with it from his sister, Kayla Weaver. When asked why he chose to become a senior mentor, he gave all the credit to Kayla. He says she was a senior when he was a freshman, and she helped him a lot with adjusting to the high school environment. Because of her help, she influenced him to be the best mentor he could be, to hopefully help out other freshman. Freshman Lauren Gross, who has Billy as one of her mentors, says it worked: “He’s helped a lot of the freshmen with high school, especially in the beginning of the year. I’d say that he’s pretty brave to help out with our class because we’re a lot to deal with. But, he definitely made us feel more comfortable and welcomed.”

Billy has something nice to say about everything. He feels that he made many good friends with other students at Chardon, which include some teachers. He’d like to say that many teachers are good with one-on-one and they are always there to help you out with anything. He’d like to thank Mr. Zitko and Mrs. Steytler for helping him out and pushing him to be the best he could be.

Abbie Greene, freshman, simply states, “Billy is awesome.”

He’s not quite sure at the moment what career path to take, but he just knows that it will have something to do with either art or English. He’s excited to graduate from Chardon and begin the next step of his life. Billy plans to attend Baldwin Wallace, but he will miss the Chardon community.