How Old is too Old?

How Old is too Old?

“Trick or treat!” is a phrase you would often imagine coming from some elementary-aged kid in a superhero or witch costume. However, as we age, the question of whether it is appropriate to still go trick-or-treating becomes trickier. The question of “how old is too old?” is followed by a wide spectrum of answers.
“You’re never too old to dress up and have an imagination!” said Juliana Myers, senior.
“Six.” Said Chis Goergen, senior.
“Once you’re old enough to drive to buy your own candy it’s game over.” Said Riley Tatonetti, junior.
“Who cares? I’m just trying to get some free candy.” Said Ally McKelvey, sophomore.
“After middle school you need to just stop.” Said Kevin Morgan, senior.
“When you find yourself in jail dressed in a bed sheet with “predator” linked to your name…consider it a warning.” Said Eric Siktberg, senior.
This question that many teens ask themselves every Halloween has even sparked the law-making of Mayor Mark Eckhert of Belleville, Illinois. His solution: To create an ordinance banning high school teenagers-that is, anyone over the age of 12, from trick-or-treating, with a $100 fine for those who ignore the law. This idea has also spread to others townships in South Carolina, Mississippi, Maryland, and Virginia.
Adults may refuse to give someone candy if they believe the trick-or-treater is too old, but they should keep in mind that there are far worse things for teenagers to be involved in than trick-or-treating. Halloween could easily turn into a night of more tricks than treats for many teens without the activity of trick-or-treating. Without trick-or-treating, many teens might instead spend their time on this night of mischief TPing, egging, and destroying property. Allowing these teens to participate in an innocent holiday, serves to drastically cut down on teenage vandalism during that night.
If a teen who is too old for half the things they want to do and too young for the other half wants to hold on to an innocent childhood activity, what is the big deal? Adulthood is approaching, and teens should be allowed to enjoy this holiday as long as they have the desire to dress up and participate respectfully.
Trick-or-treating is not the only celebration of Halloween that teens can participate in on Halloween night. Some possibilities include: pumpkin carving, scary movies, passing out candy to the kids, and even having a costume contest with friends! If you believe you are too old for trick or treating, have a Halloween party with your friends! There are many more possible activities to keep you entertained and have a fun night on Halloween.
What do you think? Is there an age which children should stop trick-or-treating? Does it bother you if teenagers in costume come to your door? Should cities pass age restrictions on trick or treating? You decide.