Prep for Test Prep: Get Ready for College Entrance Tests

SAT? ACT? Which should you take, and how do you get registered?

Lucy Muhic, Section Editor

It’s fall, and as juniors and seniors think about the next stage in their lives, one question (among many) arises: which test should I take? The ACT or the SAT?

To start, if you are looking to go somewhere specific for college, make sure to check which test that particular school may be looking for. However, beyond that, most colleges do not have a preference on which test you take, so do whichever one is best for you. 

Take your preparation for the tests seriously. Look over any last minute information or notes you want to review beforehand. Relax. Take some time to de-stress yourself and get your mind ready for test day.

Pack a snack, as there is a break between the first and second half of the test, so if you think you will get hungry bring something for that time.

Charge your calculator. You can use your calculator for the math and science parts, so be sure it is charged before you go to take the test.

Bring pencils, make sure you have enough in case one breaks or you just want to have extras.

Finally, and very importantly, Mr. Bandiera advises students to “Make sure you are well rested, have a good breakfast, and try not to let yourself get too anxious about the test. Just do your best. If you do your best, you will do well.

Registration for the ACT will take you about 40 mins; the cost without the writing portion is $52, and with writing, $68. You need a computer with a connection to the internet, a credit card or other form of payment, your high school course details, your high school code, and a head shot photo to upload to the site. Possible additional fees you may receive include: a test option change is a fee of $16, late registration is a fee of $30, standby testing is a fee of $55, a test date change is a fee of $32, a test center change is a fee of $32, to send score reports to 5th and 6th college choices is a fee of $13, additional score reports are fees of $13, test information release is a fee of $22, and telephone re-registration is a fee of $15.

In order to register for the test, you have to either create a new account or login to your ACT account if you have already been through the process. Once you get in to your account you need to select a date/location that has openings left, and fill out the information it asks you to provide.

According to ACT.org, “[o]n the day of the test you need your printed admission ticket, photo identification, number two pencils, a watch (with no alarms), a permitted calculator, and snacks if you want for the break in between sections. Do NOT bring any books, highlighters or colored pencils or pens, any electronic devices other than a permitted calculator, or tobacco of any form” 

Here are some important upcoming dates:

ACT

Test Days Registration Deadline Late Registration Deadline
December 14, 2019 November 8, 2019 November 9-22, 2019
February 8, 2020 January 10, 2020 January 11-17, 2020
April 4, 2020 February 28, 2020 February 29- March 13, 2020
June 13, 2020 May 8, 2020 May 9-22, 2020
July 18, 2020 June 19, 2020 June 20-26, 2020

Registration for the SAT without the essay portion is $49.50, $64.50 with the essay. There are a list of possible fees you could receive such as: late registration is a fee of $30, phone registration is a fee of $15, wait list registration is a fee of $53, a test change is a fee of $30, and an additional score report is a fee of $12.

In order to register, you need to create a College Board account or login to yours if you already have one. Once you are in to your account you need to select a date/location that has openings left, and fill out all of your information they ask you to provide.

According to CollegeBoard.org, “[o]n the day of your test you need to bring with you: an acceptable photo ID, number two pencils with erasers, an approved calculator, and your printed admission ticket. Do NOT bring any electronic devices, cameras, separate timers, rulers or other measuring devices, highlighters or colored pens or pencils, pamphlets or papers, any kind of books, food or drinks (other than during breaks).” 

Here are some important upcoming dates:

SAT

November 2, 2019 October 3, 2019 October 22, 2019
December 7, 2019 November 8, 2019 November 26, 2019
March 14, 2020 February 14, 2020 March 3, 2020
May 2, 2020 April 3, 2020 April 21, 2020
June 6, 2020 May 8, 2020 May 27, 2020