PAC Showdown

PAC Showdown
Maribeth Joeright

On Friday, October 18 The Chardon Hilltopper football team will be playing in one of the most important and intense games of the year. When they take on the Riverside Beavers. This is a huge PAC game because they have a chance to have a share of the PAC title with Madison and South if everything falls into place. The score last year was 21-13 with Riverside on the winning end. “It’s not about revenge because if it was about revenge we would need both teams to have the same players. This game is about executing and doing our jobs if we want to win” said coach Ty Merkle.

The games have always been extremely close in the past 10 years. The teams have a rivalry record of 5 wins and 5 losses in the 10 games against each other. This is one of the biggest rivalries Chardon has ever had. We know what they do and they know what we do. It will be a physical game. One thing Chardon will be doing is keying on their running back. “He’s a big kid but we’ve faced better”, said Cornerback Anthony Cantanzriti. Chardon will be preparing to defend the triple option as well as the spread offense. This game is a huge key to another long deep Chardon playoff run. It will give Chardon a ton of computer points if they can pull off this win. Chardon’s young offense has really come around the past couple of games and the defense is finally playing like they should: fast and physical.

Chardon has a key senior wide receiver Jason Janda coming back from a separated shoulder. “It feels great to be back and so glad to be back out on the gridiron with my brothers.” Janda said. The scout offense is led by Evan Hornyak and Nick Mysyk is going to play a huge part in getting a win against the Riverside Beavers. The look that the scout team gives us in practice help the defense and offense know what they need to do to succeed against the Riversides offense and defense. Sophomore running back Christian Ross has stepped up in a huge way for the toppers. “It’s a great feeling knowing I’m helping out the team and contributing. I want to help make the seniors’ season a rememerable one. The game is at home at 7pm on Friday. Come out and support your toppers!!