Keep it Classy, Chardon High

As a response to strong teacher concerns, a committee of students headed by student council, has created a “Keep it Classy” campaign. The main objective of this group is to tone down extremely inappropriate dancing that has been occurring at our high school dances. Students have been meeting and working on ways to communicate changes in etiquette to the student body. These changes are in everyone’s best interests. In years past, there has been a group of generally the same teachers who enjoy helping out and chaperoning school dances. However, the over-the-top grinding seen at past dances has caused a few chaperones to sadly explain they are unable to supervise such actions. If the distasteful dancing continues on the downward path that it is currently on, it is possible that in the future, parents of students will have to fill in as chaperones.

The aim is really to make sure students make the right choices in representing themselves. More importantly, the focus is for high schoolers to have respect for themselves and their dates.

Courtney Kamm, a senior and vice president of student council, clarifies, “We are not aiming to completely eliminate or ban grinding. We just want people to not be too provocative or outrageous.” Student Council advisor, Ms Grantham agrees, adding, “This movement is not meant to be strict and drastic; we just want students to stay reasonable and respectful.”

One of the main goals of this action is to shift the culture of dancing in a way, so that freshmen and younger grades will not have to deal with the threat of discipline at their dances. Freshman, Ben Baierl, says, “I have heard about homecoming and have been advised to avoid certain kinds of dancing.”

Mrs. Mihalek is another teacher involved as she is an advisor for prom. She is having her current Theater Arts class make videos regarding the “Keep it Classy” theme. After the videos are completed, the class will vote on the one best fit to air the week before homecoming. “I am very excited to see these movies,” she says, “none of my students are against the concept, and they all understand the message is not meant to be extreme, but a warning.” Mrs. Mihalek explains, “Teachers love seeing their students dressed up and excited to be at dances. I believe that once students are aware of the problems with past dances, our amazing kids will have the incentive to keep it under control.”

Junior Frankie Pinkard is also in agreement with these reformative steps, stating assuredly, “I would rather have preventative measures be taken than end up having parents chaperone the dances.”

Sophomore Steph Secic says, “The best way to try and change the dancing is for the teachers and administrators to clearly define what is allowed and what is not acceptable.”

Mrs. Mihalek clarifies, “Grinding can go bad easily. We want students to be aware of themselves and keep in mind they are at a school event. Teachers should not have to come in the following Monday and have an awkward feeling because of what they saw a student doing at the dance.”

The next “Keep it Classy” meeting will be conducted sometime after homecoming, so the effect of the video and information on students’ behavior can be measured. The fate of upcoming dances now rests upon the actions of students who attend them; it is up to them to make it trashy or classy.