Russell King Jr.: Memorial Article

Russell King Jr.
Russell King Jr.

Russell King Jr. was a junior at Chardon High School. Not knowing this student personally, I turned to some of Russell’s close friends in Miss Tagliaferri’s ninth and tenth period class. Russell was known as a kind and positive kid with a big heart. “Russell loved to help people whenever he could. He cherished his friends and family and always attempted to connect with everyone he knew,” said junior Nate Mueller, a close friend of King’s. Senior Jeff Madsen adds, “…he’s probably the most respectable kid I know. He kindly welcomed everyone and was always smiling. If you ever needed someone for anything; to laugh, to cry, to talk, or ask for help, he was always there.” Senior Candice Page commented, “He knew how to put a smile on your face. He was funny, outgoing, and smart.”

On the weekends, Russell would either be working or spending time with friends doing numerous activities like hunting, hiking, fishing, boxing, and racing tractors. When at school, Russell was also known for being a hard worker and a positive influence on the students. “He was the hardest worker, and always would put a smile on someone’s face,” said junior Andrew Laconte. Junior Dan Santry commented, “He would always have a question for Tag’s.” A sample question that Russell’s classmates remember was, “Miss Tags, if the world got too many people, would it start to sink in space from all the weight?” “Everyone loved Russell. He was impossible to not like. He could be in trouble and he’d still crack jokes,” said Hunter. “He was in the office everyday to talk to Ms. Trimble about something,” Hunter added. Russell is also noted about his love for hunting. “My most memorable moment I had with him is when he took me duck hunting for the first time,” says junior Evan Powell.

Russell had always been known for his big heart and his sense of humor. “Russell was a great person. He had his flaws, but he always made you smile while having a great smile of his own. He was just a great person with a good heart,” said junior John Bergenstein. Bergenstein also adds, “Before he passed, he shared with me that he had been going to church, really enjoyed it and wanted to go more.” Many of the students in Miss Tagliaferri’s ninth and tenth period classes had said the same thing: Russell had a big heart and a big smile to match. “He was always talkative to everyone and joking around with people, said junior James Glaettli. He also mentions that he would spend time with Russell by making fires in King’s backyard and going to Nelson’s ledges to just hang out.

Russell made a lasting impression on the students of Chardon High. “After talking to him for the first time, you could be best buds,” said Hunter.  King had qualities of a true friend. “(He) could make anyone smile and do anything to make them smile,” said junior Megan Wilson. Senior Drew Blackley also added, “Just the fact that it seemed like he would have your back for anything.” After all this research, I found that Russell King Jr. had touched the lives of many students positively. Russell was a kid with good spirits and a taste for fun. Russell’s Environmental Science teacher, Miss Jodi Tagliaferri said, “We should all live the way Russ did with a smile on our face; compassion for life.”