The Iron Lady’s Final Remarks

In honor of the late Margaret Thatcher, it seems more than appropriate to review a film about her. If you do not know, Margaret Thatcher was England’s first female Prime Minister. Everybody either loved her or hated her, simply because of the fact that she had a firm stance on what she believed in. She didn’t believe in the word “maybe”. Anyways, the film follows the major events in Thatcher’s life; from working in her family’s grocery store to living alone trying to let go of her memory of her deceased husband. However, the film is in a flashback style, with Thatcher reminiscing on her accomplishments as Prime Minister. The film focuses on three parts of Thatcher’s life. One is her time trying to rise in Parliament. The second is the deadly IRNA attacks against her, her husband, and her friends. The last is the Argentinean invasion of the Falkland Islands.

Meryl Streep delivers an amazing performance as Thatcher. Streep provides the certain elegance of Thatcher while still having a stone cold personality. She also is able to perform in a way that is difficult for most women actors. Namely, that Margaret Thatcher had a “traditional” belief that the man is supposed to put a roof over his family and put food on the table while the woman is supposed to support him in any way possible. While most actors did excellent jobs, Meryl Streep is the one who stole the show. Ironically, Margaret Thatcher and her children have never watched this movie.

If you liked Margaret Thatcher or did not like her, there was one thing everyone could agree on: She knew her stance on every political argument. She always had a successful counter-argument. Most of all is that she is made of metal for her immovable stance and cold, hard determination. Iron is the preferred metal, but any metal will do.