Bungie’s Next Step for World Domination

Bungie has released a “ViDoc” of its upcoming game Destiny. However, not many details of the game were shown. Bungie was hinting though that Destiny would be similar to an MMOFPS, a Massive Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter. However, Bungie does not like using this term to describe Destiny. They feel like Destiny is something new that will revolutionize gaming as we know it. They also plan to combine all of the elements of single player and multi player into a single mode. Destiny is telling the story of humanity in the future, when we were able to colonize the entire solar system. However, an evil force killed off most of humanity. Now, most of the survivors live in a city built under The Traveler, a sphere with immense power that apparently saved humanity from extinction. A great deal of time has passed since the “Golden Age”, or the age when humanity colonized the solar system, and humanity is starting to venture off again to distant planets. However, many species of aliens have colonized these worlds, and are most likely planning on finishing off humanity. The player is a defender of the city who can “wield the Traveler’s immense power”. It is unknown what this power is. All that sophomore Bradley Caldwell knows is that it will be “the next step  for gaming”.

There are probably many Halo fans thinking, “This sounds very Halo-y.” However, remember when Halo came out, many people thought it looked a lot like Marathon, Bungie’s previous hit game. Sophomore Austin Pestello says, “If they put in the way you jump in Halo everything will be okay.” This story is able to shift and change in ways even Bungie would not be able to predict. Certain events may happen that may not be scripted in the game. So, while it may be similar to Halo, this will probably go into a completely different direction.

An important thing to note here though, is that Activision will be publishing the game. They are publishing the game, not developing it, so please do not panic that the same people who made Call of Duty are publishing this game. Bungie and Activision reached a publisher agreement that will last for ten years. When told this, sophomore Caleb Bridges simply said, “No!” The game was originally planned to be released on PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2013. However, it is now planned to be released on PS3, Xbox 360, and PS4 sometime in 2014.   Should Playstation fans be concerned that Bungie will focus more on Xbox? Both sophomores Austin Pestello and Caleb Bridges agree that Bungie will focus more on the market for Xbox. Will this be a bold new action game that will completely redefine gaming? Or will it be a colossal failure that will disappoint millions of fans? Hopefully, it will result in the first of these options.