Just Let It Go

Just Let It Go

Idina Menzel, the voice of Elsa in Disney’s Frozen, has confirmed that there will be a Frozen 2. Although the Walt Disney Studios had said in September that there were no plans for a sequel, it’s obvious that things have change quickly. Menzel is not officially casted to revive her role as Elsa, but she says, “We’ll see, I’m just going along for the ride.” Nothing has been written, according to public knowledge, but Walt Disney Animation Studios is definitely planning the sequel.

I asked multiple students if they thought the sequel was necessary, and this is what they had to say. Freshman Erika Strazinsky says, “No, they wrapped up everything in the end and it was a good movie, so they should just end it instead of trying to make more money off of it!” Nikki Katzenstein, a senior, says, “Necessary, no. A brilliant idea, absolutely if they can make it as good as the first.”

Sophomore Megan Kofol, a very big Disney fan, says that it isn’t necessary, but “it is very much desired by myself, though I am not sure they could top the first one.”

Everyone I interviewed had similar opinions on Disney sequels. The sequels tend to not be as good as the originals, but they aren’t horrible. “They are decent, but don’t compete with the first ones.” Megan says. The initial reactions to a Frozen sequel, however, vary. Ali Nowac, also a sophomore, says that she thought “cool, wonder what they’ll do” while Erika said, “Seriously? What’s the point?” Megan was very excited when she found out.

Typically, Disney sequels are not well received by audiences. The most enjoyed sequel by the public seems to be Cinderella 3, a Twist in Time, in which Lady Tremaine gets a hold of the fairy godmother’s wand, and turns back time to when the Prince was still looking for the girl who lost her shoe. People like the involvement of Prince Charming, which is why it’s got a better reputation. But is there anything that Frozen 2 could add to the plot line? Ali says, “Possibly. I think there’s definitely more to work with there, but it sort of depends on the direction they take things.”

Emily Munoz, a freshman, had a very interesting idea for Frozen 2. “With everyone is still in a hype about the first Frozen, the sequel will probably attract the same attention or possibly more. I’ve heard that Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be in the second Frozen. What’s not to like about Benedict Cumberbatch? *silence* Exactly, nothing. My theory is that he is going to voice Sven, but who knows there could be some new character who will help Anna and Elsa save Arendelle!”

While there are a lot of least favorite Disney sequels here are some in particularly Beauty and the Beast: Belle’s Magical World and Fox and the Hound 2.

Will Frozen 2 be a flop, or will it be the first epic Disney sequel? Erika says, “I think it will be like the other Disney sequels, since the characters’ lives in Frozen were pretty much wrapped up, continuing it will just end up uneventful and ruin the original movie.” But we won’t find out until it’s released, and that day is still unknown.