Are Phones Becoming a Real Problem?

Let’s face it, everyone has a phone. If you are one of the very rare people who do not have a phone, you might be considered an outcast. The question is, since everyone has a phone now, is it becoming a problem? Are people only able to function in day-to-day life with a phone clutched in their hand constantly? I think that for some, this is actually becoming a true problem, which needs to be addressed and fixed.

I love my phone, don’t get me wrong, but I am able to set it down or keep it in my pocket and work on other things without having it out constantly. It might be because my phone is not the most advanced technology, but it does most things that all other smart phones can do. People should try and live by the words of senior Kerrigan Miranda, who said, “Phones are a fact of life; they aren’t going away. We just need to learn to use them the right way.” A lot of people seem to thing the right way is using your phone 24/7, but that’s not the case.

I have personally witnessed many people, young and old, being disrespectful on their phones especially during times when they should not be. One main example would be students on their phones during class. Teachers work hard to teach, and text messages between your friends can wait, even if it is the most important message your friend could send you. It can wait. I understand some situations where looking at your phone is necessary. For instance, when a parent is trying to contact you, but in those cases it is okay! There is a time and place for everything. Senior Charlie Blaser commented, “Phones should be kept in your pocket during school. There are times when you can use them like lunch or study hall, but when teachers are actually teaching, you should keep them away. It’s really not that important.”

The sad thing is, it is not only students who do this. I have been in places where there have been guest speakers, and my superiors and supervisors were on their phones the whole time! It is completely ridiculous that sometimes I wonder where the kids get it from, and the answer might be their elders. Although this is not always the case, and there are a lot of respectful adults who know the proper times to use their phones. Even if it does go off during something important, they know it can wait. As the wise art teacher Mrs. Steytler said, “Phone users should be taught a proper protocol, not banned.” The answer is not to completely get rid of them, but to educate people and have a little more decency.