Tribe’s Playoff Push Falls Short

Despite a year of under-performing, high paid players, a slew of injuries and heartbreaking losses, the Cleveland Indians were in  contention for a playoff spot until the final week of the season.  This is to the surprise of many fans considering that many of the starters in the Indians lineup were not even in the major leagues at the beginning of the season.  Players such as Tyler Holt, Zach Walters and Jose Ramirez have played major roles in the tribe’s successes this season.  This has helped offset the disappointing year from many players including highly touted second baseman Jason Kipnis, shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera (who was traded in late July), and especially the under-performing Nick Swisher.   On the mound, disappointing seasons from Justin Masterson (also traded) and John Axford (who was released due to his abysmal performance) have been offset by solid performances from new closer Cody Allen and dominant starters Corey Kluber and later in the year Carlos Carrasco.  Kluber has been especially dominant this season and has been solid and dependable when there was little else to count on for the Tribe.  As of September 23 Kluber had a record of 17 wins and 9 losses with an earned run average of 2.53 giving him consideration for the American League Cy Young award recognizing the American League’s best pitcher.

Defense was a problem for the Indians all season long as the Indians were one of the worst fielding teams in recent memories.  The Indians committed the most errors out of any team in baseball through 158 games, and the numbers are not even close.  The Indians have 114 errors, six more than the team with the second most errors, the Pittsburgh Pirates who have 108 through 158 games.  Carrasco was particularly hard on the defense after a loss last Monday that showcased very poor defensive play for the Tribe.

“We should’ve made those plays right there. That cost me two runs,” Carrasco said. “I thought they had a pretty good chance of making them, but sometimes we don’t make those plays. That can cost us.”   But even worse than the defense was the tribe offense especially down the stretch run.  “The offense kept the tribe out of the playoffs.” said Junior Anthony Perrico.  The offense was ineffective when needed most, one notable example being the failure of the Indians to score with bases loaded and nobody out in  the same game decided by two runs,  a game that might have kept the Indians in the playoff hunt.

For the most part the Indians were not consistent enough to win a playoff spot “I don’t feel we played consistent enough good baseball.”  Indians outfielder Michael Bourn told Zack Meisel of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, “We’d play well and go on a losing streak.”  The inconsistent play combined with poor offense and fielding will be keys going into next year for the Indians.  This offseason is important as we will see if there will any much needed moves made by the front office to give the Indians a playoff spot next year.