Kicking It with the Soccer Team

Kicking It with the Soccer Team

As we march through October, many of this year’s fall sports teams are ending their season. One of these teams is the girl’s soccer team. This year, the girl’s varsity soccer team ended the regular season with 2 wins and 13 losses. The junior varsity team ended with 0 wins 9 losses and 2 ties. The season did not end as well as the girls had hoped, but they still kept positive throughout the year. With only seven seniors on a fifteen-girl roster, the team was very young but showed a lot of promise.

The two captains this season were senior Shea Smoske and junior Dana Myeroff.  Also, leading in the scoring was senior Chantal Daugherty, who had 10 goals and 6 assists in the regular season.

“They did a great job with the team as they are always positive, good teammates to everyone and help out when needed.” Responded Coach Neumore

Following the captains’ mind set, the team’s greatest strength was their positive attitude. Even though the wins didn’t match their hard work, they showed up each day with a smile and enjoyed it.  They never gave up the entire year and kept learning, working to improve, and kept smiling! Senior Shea Smoske had to agree with Coach Neumore’s thoughts on the season.

“The best part of the season was definitely getting to know all of the girls and becoming good friends with all of them.” said Shea.

Senior Jill Kolencik had a different idea was the best part of the season.

“Even though the wins didn’t show how great the season was, beating Eastlake North in the playoffs was a huge part of the season for me!”

Next season, many of this year’s players will be coming back. The team is looking for a leader that will step up next to Dana as another captain.

The team’s summer workouts will help the girls improve their skills and help coach Neumore figure out next years’ leaders. Most summers, the team conditions a few times a week, work on core strength, and ball handling skills. The coaches use their 10 contact days as well with practice/drill type days. Most summers the team has some team building events like kayaking or other fun events where the players can be together and get to know each other.