The Cinderella Story Completed

The Cinderella Story Completed

Joe Connick, Staff Writer

The Connecticut Huskies entered the tournament as the number 8 seed. If you saw them in the beginning of the year, you would have never thought they would have accomplished what they did. They are a guard heavy team led by point guards Shabazz Napier and Ryan Boatwright. The coach for the Huskies, a Connecticut Alumn is Kevin Ollie. It is his second year as the Huskies coach and first appearance in the NCAA tournament. He is 6-0 within the tournament and won his first national championship. That is pretty impressive. “It was very good battle between two good teams and was fun to watch,” said sophomore Christian Ross.

The Huskies had to go through many tough teams to accomplish their goal. In the second round of the tournament, the Huskies defeated Saint Josephs 89-81 to move to the third round to face Villanova. No one gave Connecticut a chance against the Wildcats because of previous games during the season. The Huskies ended up having a 12 point win 77-65 over the Wildcats to advance them to the sweet 16 against IowaState. IowaState was coming into the game as one of the hottest teams in college basketball. The Huskies put an end to that real quick with an 81-76 victory over the Cyclones. So the Huskies are sitting in the elite 8 on its way to play another team that’s on fire in Tom Izzo’s Michigan State Spartans. That game went back and forth and in the end the Huskies prevailed with a 60-54 victory. It was the first time Uconn had been to the final four since 2011, when they won the national championship. That team included  the upcoming NBA star Kemba Walker. They faced the number one team in the country that was on a 30 game win streak. The last team to beat Florida was the Huskies on a game winning shot by Napier earlier in the season. The question was would they be able to do that again. They answered all the questions with a 63-53 victory over Florida to advance them into the national championship game against the five freshman of Kentucky. The Huskies led the whole game and defeated the freshman 60-54 to give Uconn the national championship.

“Uconn controlled the pace of the game and was able to contain Julius Randle and that’s why I think they were able to win,” said junior Nick Mysyk. The Uconn Huskies answered all the questions and proved the haters wrong. “Shabazz Napier tore it up and led that team to a national championship,” said sophomore Eric Cardina.