Female Leads the Kicking Squad

The Hilltopper Football team has needed every extra point on special teams to help with the win as they continue on their 3-0 winning streak. But, if it wasn’t for Riley Tatonetti, a senior girls soccer player, none of these extra points would have been possible.

The Chardon Football team was in desperate need of a field goal/ extra point kicker this year and was looking all over to find one. Lucky Riley Tatonetti, from the girls varsity soccer team, stepped and took on the challenge. “I was excited to try it, but i have to admit it I was a little bit scared at first because I didn’t know how it would work out and if people would treat me different. But then I realized I don’t care what people thought and how much fun this opportunity would be.” Riley stated. Riley has completed 5 extra points in the past 3 games but has not had the chance yet to make a field goal. To Riley kicking field goals are just like kicking goals “I just take a deep breath and then I clear my head and just do it. The team as accepted Riley and they think of her as just another member of the team.  “I don’t do everything that the boys do, but I go to practice when it isn’t conflicting with my soccer schedule and the boys are all supportive and don’t act different around me.” said Riley. The next Football game is vs Eastlake North this Friday September 19 at home.

Riley Tatonetti  is also a huge impact player on the girls soccer team. She has played soccer 3 years for Chardon. She is a starting forward on the girls varsity soccer team. She is the leading scorer on the soccer team and scores an average of 2 to 3 goals a game. Riley took a year off last year from soccer last year and played club soccer. But, she broke her left foot that year and had to sit out. This injury put her out for 6 months for recovery. This was a tough injury for someone that their sport relies on their feet.  “I came back stronger and pushed myself to overcome this obstacle. This event helped me build mental strength and confidence in myself.” Riley said after asking her if she was fully healed with the injury. The next girls home soccer game is September 23rd against Eastlake North.