Lifting Weights and Pumping Iron

Lifting Weights and Pumping Iron

Lifting weights and working out are great ways to stay in shape and stay healthy. There are so many reasons why people lift. Some lift for the looks, others lift for there sports, while some do it for competition. But here are some examples of why you should be hitting the weight room.

A common reason people work out is to get that bodybuilder’s look as well as to get back in shape. Most bodybuilders or lifters work out in order to build muscle mass. After they have bulked up, they slim down and cut weight to get a defined lean muscled look by lifting with heavy weight and low repetitions/ reps. Bodybuilding competitions consist of flexing and posing in different stances to show the judges their muscles and body. Bodybuilders lift weights to get the desired look or physique they want and don’t care about performance.

Lucas Lumblad, a sophomore said, “I lift to get that beach body and look good for the ladies.”

Athletes lift weight to improve their performance in their sport. The weight room will help any athlete build strength and speed. Athlete lifters go for a more lean muscle build since they don’t want to gain weight, but want to get better performance and faster. Athletes tend to lift with many reps and lower weight to build lean yet strong muscle. Many athletes only lift weight in their off season to improve their game for the season.

Senior Teddy Gould talked about the competition aspect of lifting “Numbers and weights don’t lie”

There are some lifts that certain sports focus on more than other sports. For instance, baseball players will work on their shoulders more than track athletes because of the need to throw the ball faster. On the other hand, track athletes focus more on lower body and legs to improve their times and speed. Athletes lift to develop fast and explosive muscle fibers. You can always find an athlete lifting weight in a weight room to improve their performance.

Ty Merkle, Chardon JV baseball and football coach, said “I believe lifting will improve players games. Getting teams to lift will show during the season.”

The third type of lifting is Crossfit. This style of workout involves high intensity interval training that combines weightlifting, polymetrics, and powerlifting. The goal for this type of lifting is to increase strength, cardio endurance, and flexibility. These workouts normally consist of high reps with low weights and also include a lot of running and agility into the workout.

There are many ways that lifting weights can help you out. Whether it is to go to the gym for looks, sports, or for the competition, lifting weights is an excellent way to stay healthy and strong.

Junior Joe Grippe wrapped things up by saying “It’s hard to get focused and go lift some days, but that’s what it takes to get the results.”

Now go out there and pump some iron!