Rolling to Victory

On the date of November 8th, the Chardon Bocce team went to Kenston High School to take on the Kenston Bocce team for the 4th annual Chardon vs. Kenston Bocce Tournament. The Chardon teams completely demolished the Kenston teams. The three Chardon teams placed in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. At first Chardon started off losing. The Kenston team had been practicing on their court prior to the event giving them more of a home advantage. Towards the middle of the tournament, Chardon started to pick up their game. By the last game, Chardon had 2 points and Kenston had 5. They only needed one more point to win and Chardon needed four. The last team for Chardon played their best, knocking the other team’s balls away and getting their four balls closest to the Palina, and they had won the Bocce tournament.  Coach Tammy Segulin was asked how she feels about her team winning the Bocce Tournament. She replied, “It felt good to beat my husband in our friendly game and I was so happy that this is Chardon’s 2nd year winning against our Kenston competitors.”

Team Captain Angela Minichello showed much joy after the team won. “I can not believe that we just beat Kenston!” She said, “After losing last year I didn’t have many high hopes for this year. I really hope that we win next year for our senior year!” The happiness in the eyes of the Chardon Bocce team was almost too much to bear. They had played a great game and won despite the fact that no one really dressed for the weather and it was in the 40’s. The coach of the Kenston team, Mr. Segulin, brought hot chocolate for everyone, even though his team had just lost.  Captain of the other team, Alissa Hartman say, “Even though we didn’t place in the top 2 for the Chardon teams, I feel like my team gave it their all despite the fact that it was freezing out!” Last but not least, the defensive player for one of the Chardon teams, Alyssa Wentz, spoke her thoughts about how she thinks that the Bocce tournament went. She replied, “I was in complete shock when Coach Segulin told us that we had just beat Kenston. I was breathless because I felt that we were going to lose after the loss that we had last year. I really hope that we can play just as well next year and win again!” With the victory now in the hands of our Chardon Bocce players, they hope to practice in the spring and in the fall so that they can become even better than this year to hopefully claim their title against as the bocce champions!