Basketball Pre-season Tip Off

As November rolls around, and fall sports end, the winter sports have started to practice. One of these sports is the Boy’s Basketball team. There is a lot of excitement this year regarding the team. This year the boys have a new head coach, Doug Snyder. The players are expecting a great year with Coach Snyder.

“I love having Coach Snyder as our coach,” said junior Nick Mysyk, “He is a great motivator, and he is able to keep the team focused.”

Expectations will be high this year, even though the team only had two wins last year. One of the biggest reasons for promise is the amount of experience on the team. There are eight seniors, six of which have varsity experience from last season. At one point last year, five of them were starting a varsity game. Also there are six juniors, with four of them playing varsity minutes last year. So far, Coach Snyder likes what he sees from the first week and a half of practice.

“The guys have really come out to work. I love their energy, their attitude, and the attention to detail at practice. I think that this team could really have a lot of success this season.” said Coach Snyder, when asked about the team.

After Coach Snyder was chosen for the position this spring, his first step was the improvement of the players during the summer workouts and leagues. These workouts continued in the fall for players who were not in a fall sport.

“The summer and fall has helped a lot of us get better timing and helped us work on our team chemistry.” said senior Trevor Miduki.

The boys have been working hard so far this year and hopefully this hard work will show when the team has their first scrimmages Saturday, November 16th against Crestwood and Cleveland St. Martin de Porris.

“Our first scrimmage is going to be a great way to set the bar for the team this year. I don’t know what to expect going in, but it will help us establish our strengths and weaknesses.” Coach Snyder replied when asked about what he hopes to see on Saturday.

The ‘Toppers Kick off their season on the road against Geneva High School on December 6th. The first home game is December 10th against Willoughby South High School. The team hopes to see a big student section this year for all the home games.