Sportsmanship: Travis Ritt

Picasa

I am honored to present Travis Ritt with the Hilltop Echo Sportsmanship award. He is known as being an outgoing, down to earth, and genuinely compassionate student, teammate, and friend. Travis has played football as well as run and thrown for the track team all four years of his high school career. In his free time, Travis can be seen skiing at Alpine Valley, performing radical stunts with fellow members of Extreme Chardon, and has been a member of stage crew for drama.

Senior Roger Davis, a teammate of Travis’ for four years, comments on his pivotal role in leading the football team, “When I was a sophomore playing football, the seniors were horrible to us. They picked on us and bullied people and made it very uncomfortable for underclassmen on the team. Their behavior really divided our team,and they thought they were better than us. During our senior season, the underclassmen were treated just like everyone else and we built great relationships with all of them. They became our friends just like the other seniors we played with. Travis was a big part of this change in the program. He never acts like he is above anyone else and he treats all the younger guys with kindness and respect. The changes that he, along with other seniors, made in the treatment of our younger teammates translated to better chemistry on the field and made us all feel a lot closer.  That was one of the most noticeable changes in the program since Hewitt was named head coach,and Travis really lead the movement.” Senior track star Allie Diehl added, “The coaches always make Travis run the four by four in dual meets even though he’s a thrower. He never complains and always gives 100%.”

The CHS faculty knows Travis as a dedicated and diverse student. CHS science teacher, football and track coach Mr. Bartley said, “The thing about Travis Ritt is, he is a hardworking kid and has the true essence of a team player. To me the neat thing about Travis is how varied his interests are, from education to sports to martial arts. He is a well rounded kid who isn’t afraid to try new things. One of my favorite memories of Travis is watching him huff around the track in a four by four, which isn’t typical of a big thrower.”

Travis is also known as just a great guy. Senior and one of Travis’ close friends Adam Benjamin said, “I’d say he’s a good friend because he’s one of the nicest people I know. He never says anything negative about anyone and is always positive. He goes out of his way to be nice to everyone. You can always rely on Travis to be there when you need him. He leads by example and inspires others to strive to be as nice as he is.” Senior Brandon Lescoezec added, “One time we were going to my mom’s school in Painesville to do the extreme team, a math program for kids, and I remember Tavis came with Roger, Adam, and I to do a demonstration for the kids. He did even though Coach Dipofi said he’d be in trouble for missing practice. He did it for the kids.”

Travis Ritt will attend Kent State University to study exercise science in the fall. He will go on to graduate school to get a doctorate of physical therapy and then eventually become a physical therapist. Travis reflected, “Well I’ve always had a passion for sports, working out, and training. I would like to go into some sort of job where I can help others so I thought physical therapy would be a good fit.” Travis gives this advice, “I would say to the freshman just get involved in something at the high school. No matter what you like to do there’s something for everyone. And I’d like to thank coach Bartley. Not only as a coach but a teacher as well he’s taught me many life lessons and a lot about myself as an athlete and as a person.” Chardon will be physically losing Travis, but his influence will remain prevalent in the minds of his teammates, classmates, and teachers, continuing to make a positive impact on the community.