Domingo Ayala shows his skills

Domingo Ayala shows his skills

“How ju are doing?” is the famous quote from Domingo Ayala. Baseball players are starting to know his name due to his multitude of videos on YouTube. These “instructional” videos are meant to spoof the game of baseball and teach basic skills incorrectly, or just make them ridiculous. Coming from the perspective of a baseball player, I get much enjoyment out of watching Ayala’s videos. The way he portrays a Latin American player is humorous.

Ayala is truly an outstanding baseball player. His fluidity fielding the ball and baseball actions are only owned by baseball players. Senior Ben Furlich is jealous of his arm strength. “I love how he can throw a ball 700 yards. It is astounding.” Most people will not understand what this means, but if you talk to a person who understands the game, he will show you that his footwork and hands are nothing short of spectacular. Senior Jake Happ does not waste any time quoting Domingo. His favorite line is, “Bomb”. This refers to Ayala teaching people how to “hit a cage bomb”. In other words, a cage bomb is a ball that looks like it would be a home run on the field, but there is really no way to tell because you hit it in a batting cage. After every ball that appears to be hit like this, the hitter is supposed to say “bomb” to announce it to everyone else, and to show his superiority.

Other videos of his explain how to improperly catch a pop up, or steal a base. The funny thing about stealing bases is the way he uses his camera filming, it makes him seem like he is impossibly fast. Senior Roger Davis says, “This reminds of myself, back when I was a base runner on the Junior Varsity team.” The camera man first films him running towards first, and the next shot is him sliding into third base. How poorly put it is together makes it that much more hilarious.

Overall, Domingo Ayala is a fantastic baseball player. His antics on the baseball field are all in good fun.