CHS Movie Night

by Natalie Bukovec

This upcoming Saturday, September 20th, Chardon High School is attempting something that, “has never been done before,” says English teacher and junior class adviser, Mrs. Mihalek. The event is an all school movie night that will be held at the high school football stadium from 7 to about 11.

The idea for this school event came about at Leadership Camp this past summer through the class of 2016 junior class officers. “Those girls are all very bright and creative,” Mrs. Mihalek said, “they wanted to come up with something different.” According to Mihalek, as soon as the idea began to circulate, the whole school started buzzing; getting many other clubs involved. These clubs include the Senior, Sophomore, and Freshmen class officers as well as the Freshmen mentors.

Tickets are going to be five dollars and will be sold during all lunch periods starting Wednesday, September 16th through that Friday, the 19th. Tickets will also be sold at the gate; however they will be seven dollars. The student body will decide on a movie by way of a school wide survey of about three options. This survey will be given to students in school once they buy a ticket. The plan is to open the gates at 7 and start the chosen movie around 8:30 on two projector screens while students lay on sleeping bags or sit in lawn chairs on the football field. Mihalek also said that there is no need to eat beforehand because there will be various concessions there such as topper dogs, popcorn, candy, and drinks. Proceeds from tickets and concessions will go to a variety of different causes including; the individual group’s funds, possibly a charity, and an electronic sign in the front of the building which Mr. Fetchik has wanted for many years.

As of this point, students seem very excited and pumped up for this movie night. “I literally cannot wait for the 20th!” said junior, Bri Fowle, “I love going to the drive-in and this movie night is just like it, but better because it gives us time to hangout with the whole school!” Because of the early excitement, it seems pretty clear that the turnout for this event should be pretty good. Even though this may be the first time this idea has taken root, it most likely will not be the last.