Chardon represents at Rotary four Way Speech Contest

This year Chardon’s senior Katie Goodge and junior Nick Miraglia were selected by the teachers to compete in the Rotary Four Way Speech Contest. The competition was Monday March 10, 2014, and was held at Bass Lake Tavern. In addition to the two Chardon competitors, there were two NDCL students competing. The competition was even further improved with the culinary food from Bass Lake Tavern. Prior to the competition, the competitors were treated to a meal consisting of breaded walleye, French fries, and a mixed green salad, including spinach and roman. This meal helped the competitors prepare for the speech.

Nick Miraglia did his speech on Operation Help Our Heroes.

“This speech meant a lot to me. I chose this because I felt Rotary could connect with it, and it’s an important topic in my life,” Nick said. Nick is in charge of this organization ran though the school that sends care packages over seas to our troops.

Katie Goodge wrote her speech about finding true happiness.

“Happiness is simple but so easily overlooked. Taking things for granted and focusing on materialistic things are fake happiness,” Katie explained.

One NDCL student spoke about pollution due to transportation. He/she also talked about fixing it with hydrogen-powered cells. While the other NDCL student spoke about war refugees in general.

Nick ended up winning the contest and the $200.00 cash prize while Katie Goodge took third place. Nick will move on to Districts at AuroraMiddle School on April 5, 2014. The competition begins at 9:00 am. The cash price at districts is $750.00.

“I plan on performing my best and wherever that takes me, I would be delighted. The plan is to take first and represent CHS!” Nick rejoiced after his victory. If you see Katie or Nick in the hallway, congratulate them and wish Nick good luck.