Heisman Watch

Heisman Watch

After a great 15 weeks (13 games) of exciting, thrilling, and intense college football the Heisman finalists have finally been announced. The Heisman finalists are Jameis Winston (QB) from FloridaState, Andre Williams (RB) from BostonCollege, Tre Mason (RB) from Auburn, Johnny Manziel (QB) from Texas A&M, AJ McCarron (QB) from Alabama, and Jordan Lynch (QB) from Northern Illinois.

Jamies Winston is a Redshirt freshman who has broken every single Atlantic Coast Conference freshman QB record and led his team to a 13-0 season and a spot in the Vizio BCS National Championship Game on January 6, 2014. Last Saturday he faced DukeUniversity in the ACC Championship Game. He completed 19 out of 32 pass attempts for 330 yards. He had a 59.4% completion percentage in this game. His longest throw of the day was for 54 yards and he had three touchdowns with two interceptions. On the season, Winston is 237 for 349 with a completion percentage of 67.9%. He had 38 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He is clearly the front runner to win the Heisman.

Andre Williams, from BostonCollege, had a break-out year for the Boston College Eagles which earned him an invitation to the Heisman presentation. This year Andre has had 329 attempts running the football and has gained a total of 2102 yards for the year. He’s averaging 6.4 yards a carry on the year. His longest run on the year was 80 yards. He has 17 touchdowns on the year with zero fumbles. His break-out game was against North CarolinaState when he rushed the ball 42 times for 339 yards averaging 8.1 yards a carry with two touchdowns.

Tre Mason from AuburnUniversity had one of the best games a running back can have in the last game he played. The Auburn Tigers faced Missouri in the South East Conference Championship game on Saturday and Mason had a night to remember. He rushed the ball 44 times for a total of 304 yards. He averaged about 6.6 yards a carry. He scored four touchdowns in that game to propel the Tigers to a 59-42 victory over Missouri. That win also leap-frogged them into the Vizio National Championship Game against FloridaState. On the year Mason had 283 attempts rushing for 1621 yards and averaged about 5.7 yards a carry. The longest run on the year for Mason was a 53 yarder. He has 22 touchdowns so far. He doesn’t just run the ball he can also catch the ball. On the year, Mason has 11 receptions for 121 yards, averaging 11.0 yards a catch. His longest catch of the year is 34 yards.

Johnny Manziel from Texas A&M has always been on the Heisman watch. His nickname is Johnny Football because of how clutch he played freshman year. This season he had 270 completed passes in 391 attempts. He threw for 3732 yards with a 69.1 completion percentage. His longest pass on the year was 95 yards. He threw for 33 touchdowns and 13 interceptions with a QB rating of 170.4. He is the reigning Heisman winner from 2012. Johnny is always in the mix for the Heisman trophy.

A.J. McCarron from Alabama has been one of the most dominant quarterbacks in college football. He has won the past two national championships. On the season McCarron completed 207 passes on 306 attempts. He threw for 2676 yard on the season. He averaged 8.75 yards per pass and had a 67.6 completion percentage. His longest touchdown pass on the year was against Auburn in the Iron Bowl which went for 99 yards. He threw for 26 touchdowns and five interceptions on the year. He had a QB rating of 165.9 and he is a strong candidate to win the Heisman this year.

Jordan Lynch from Northern Illinois was one of the main surprises this year in college football. Lynch completed 233 passes on 369 attempts this year. He threw for 2676 yards, averaging a 63.1 completion percentage. He threw for 7.25 yards per throw. His longest throw of the season was 66 yards. Jordan had 23 touchdown and seven interceptions on the year with a QB rating of 140.8. He didn’t just pass the ball; he was also one of the best rushing QB in college football. He rushed for 22 touchdowns on the year for a total of 1881 yards. He doesn’t have the best chance to win the Heisman with all of the other athletes in the finals, but you can never count Jordan Lynch out because he has proven people wrong before.