Back to Where It All Began

After the tragedy of February 27, 2012, a group came to our school. They were the founders of what we know as AC4P. A little more than a year later, the Leadership class traveled back to where it all began. During the weekend of October 19th-21st, the class took a trip to Virginia Tech. On this trip, they planned on attending seminars and more to find out what the Actively Caring group of Virginia tech was like. They arrived in Blacksburg, Virginia on the 19th. They stayed at the Make-A-Diff Ranch, which is owned by the wonderful Dr. E. Scott Geller and his wife Joanne. Dr. Geller is the founder of AC4P. They had many things for the Chardon students to do. They started off by having a meeting and a having dinner. They did many things to help the kids and the VT coaches get to know each other. The next day, they all had breakfast and had some speakers come and discuss multiple topics that have to do with Actively Caring. They spoke of friendship, instincts, and many more ideas.

The VT coaches came to the ranch to how our Chardon Ac4P students were doing with everything. Coach Sophia Teie stated, “You kids only being in high school have understood what we are getting at faster than many of our college member.” This statement of course raised the spirits of the kids who went on the trip. When senior Sara Jurgens was asked what she thought the pit and peak of her experience was, she responded with, “The peak would definitely have to be all the stuff we did when people had to read their quotes and explain them to us, the pit on the other had would have to be the leaving.” Kaylynn Hill was asked the same question. Her response was, “I think the leaving was also the worst part. The Peak though would be getting to see my Virginia Tech coaches and friends again. It was also nice to see the beautiful campus of the college that I am hoping to be attending.” “I could tell all of the kids had a great time and really got to know each other” said Mrs. Joanne Geller, “I really hope to see them again and to have more schools come as well.” As the last day came creeping up on the Chardon kids, everyone began to feel sad that they were going to have to leave in the morning.  Dr. E. Scott Geller told everyone before they left, “This has been a great experience for everyone, even the adults. You are the first group to come and do this, meaning that you are the most important. All the input and information you gave us really helped on what we need to change and make better. We hope to see all of your faces again soon, and always remember to pass on the caring.” On that night the kids had their own little riff off to enjoy the last night of V Tech. The boys and girls separated into two teams and they both did very well with the activity. As that dreadful Monday came around, the children said their goodbyes to the Geller’s and the coaches. They thanked them for everything they did. Some of the students even started to cry. This made it easy to see that the bond between our group of AC4P members and the VT members is very strong. The coaches plan to come back in November and visit, and we can hardly wait!