Stock Market Challenge

The Stock Market Challenge has been underway for about three weeks. It is a competition involving anyone who wanted to join, but mainly schools are participating. Chardon’s Business Finance class, taught by Diane Robbinson, entered 14 teams into the competition. Each team consists of two students who got to pick their working partner. The competition is based on what team has the most percent/return and has made the most income. Teams were given 100,000 dollars (fake money of course) to invest in whatever companies they chose. The coolest part of the competition, besides a 15 minute, delay all the stock prices are the real prices, which fluctuate everyday. Senior Ben Huffman said, “This is the most fun we have had in this class all year. I really enjoy going on and checking to see how they are doing.”

One of the coolest parts of the competition is that the winning team gets 250 dollars. Andrew Evans said, “250 dollars; I could use an extra 250.” I think a lot of people could. That is the main reason that everyone stays so interested, because, along with bragging rights over all the competitors, the winning team gets some cash. If the teams were just playing for essentially nothing, then it would not be as intense and the teams’ interest would be down. Senior Alex Muir said, “I’m not even in the class, but I hear kids talking about it all the time.”  

Another plus about the challenge is that it is a very good unrisky way to see if you can invest. Many people think they know all about investing and think that making money would be very easy. Soon into the competition, many teams changed their mind. Junior Mac Phaylin said, “After this, I would never trust myself investing money in the stock market. It is so hard to make money and way to easy too lose money.” So all in all, the students at Chardon love competing in this, and it is a very good learning tool for future investing.