Drew McCartney: Man, Athlete, or God?

Drew McCartney: Man, Athlete, or God?

Multi-talented, two sport athlete Drew McCartney is proving to be a vital asset to the Chardon Hilltoppers. The Chardon Football program has run the traditional wing-t offense for years, where running hard nose plays on the ground are common. However, recently the Toppers have made their opponent respect the passing game with talented quarterback, Patrick Sullivan, behind the center. Despite two drops within weeks three and four, McCartney has managed to average 45.75 yards after only four receptions throughout the season, two of which resulted in touchdowns. Not only is he an offensive threat, but he has proven to be a force to be to reckoned with on defense as well.

With three sacks against the West Geauga Wolverines week one, six solo tackles against the Kenston Bombers week two, and then a total of ten tackles combined in both weeks three and four, the message has been sent that the Toppers’ defensive line is nearly unstoppable. When asked about the impressive 45-21 victory over the Eastlake North Rangers this past week, Drew McCartney had this to say about the matter.

“We didn’t play to our best abilities, but we still came out on top. The second half proved to be much better.”

When asked about the adversity the team faced during the second quarter, Drew noted, “Eastlake North had stopped us a couple of times on defense and had a couple good plays running the ball on offense. It was then where we had to get focused and do what we do best, play Hilltopper hard-nose football.”

Defensive coach Ty Merkle complimented McCartney by saying,

”Week one, the people didn’t know who number four was or were confused by mistaking him for being Chardon Alumni Matt Bolden. As the weeks have gone by, McCartney has been making his name known. From pancaking defensive linemen and linebackers from the tight end position, to sacking the quarterback from defensive end, Drew has made the number four jersey his own.”

And if being a two way starter was not enough, McCartney has shown impressive numbers in the kicking game. During kickoff, week one he averaged 50.5 yards in two kickoffs, week two he kicked a total of 138 yards in four kickoffs, week three he averaged 38.29 yards after seven kickoffs, and week 4 against North he kicked a total of 359 yards after seven kickoffs. The Hilltoppers have had a good start to the season, and if Drew McCartney keeps on doing what he’s been doing, the final product seems to be promising.