More Make Up Time for Calamity Days

© Royalty-Free/Corbis

The Chardon Board of Education approved the district’s new and improved revised contingency plan to complete the required make-up of instructional time lost to calamity days. This new schedule now also includes enough time for teachers to prepare their students for AP testing and Final Exams.

After careful consideration of all options, the Board approved adding one and a half hours to the end of each school day beginning on Wednesday, April 9th through Thursday, June 5th.

“Adding just three minutes to each class just wasn’t enough time for teachers to extend their lesson plans. Now with these extended class times, more material will be able to be covered to prepare our students,” said Principal Andy Fetchik.

These are the first steps in the School-districts five year plan.  Next step will be to start going to school on Saturdays as schools in places like Italy do. The United States actually ranks 36th right now on the Global Education League Table.

“We need students to start investing more time in their education; the United States should not be ranking 36th in anything except maybe obesity for a change,” according to the OECD’s deputy director of education, Andreas Schleicher.

The final step in the 5-year plan would to have student continue school throughout the summer for 3-4 days a week (or every other day).

“Glad to be out of high school before most of these changes! Suckers!” added Senior Seanna Izar.  She seems to speak for the rest of the senior class as well.

Revised dismissal times are as follows:
Chardon HS 4:00 PM
Chardon MS 4:05 PM
All Elementary Schools 5:00 PM

The Chardon Board of Education thanks you for your cooperation and support.