AFS Student Profile: Nadine Kubiak

AFS Student Profile: Nadine Kubiak

Nadine Kubiak is known by her host sister, senior Lisa Poyar, as “sweet, funny, and open to trying all sorts of new things while she’s here!”

Nadine was born on March 25, 1997 in Bremen, Germany to her very proud German and Polish parents.  She grew up in Walle/Vermen, Germany near Bremen.  She lives in a more secluded area but could easily take a bus or a train to a bigger city.  She has one older brother named Pascal, he’s 19 years old and is attending college in Germany as a freshman right now. “I’m really close with my brother, he is like my best friend and I can trust him. I can talk with him about everything and he helps me all the time,” says Nadine.  She also has a pet rabbit named Sissy.  Nadine spends her spare time doing show dance, which she has done since she was in the fifth grade.  You can also spot her shopping constantly with her mom or friends, going to the movies, and hanging out with her friends on the weekend.

“I have four best friends I’m really close to, they are part of my family because we hang out together every day and we’ve know each other since kindergarten,” recalls Nadine about her best friends back home: Marie, Laura, Franzi, and Anna. “They walk right into my house and room without needing to call; they’re at my house all the time, because they live only one street away. So now, when I’m here they visit my parents and chill in my house and borrow my clothes.  We’re very close.”

Being here in Chardon, Nadine has noticed many differences between our high school and her high school back home.  One of which is the way we set up our schedule for day to day.

“We have everyday a different schedule so we have sometimes a week to do homework.  Also, in Germany after every two periods we have 20 to 30 minute break, during the breaks the whole school is outside and we go to the city and hang out, drink coffee, or eat ice cream.” Sounds pretty nice compared to the four minute “break” between periods at Chardon.  It’s not all fun and games though, “the tests are harder, we never have tests with multiple choice.”  Also, she experienced Halloween here in America for the first time, “Halloween is fun how people wear costumes, it’s not so popular in Germany.”

Nadine is enjoying her time here in the United States to the fullest extent, “I’ve been visiting a lot of different places like Niagara falls with my family and Cedar Point with friends.”  She’s been trying new things, “I love to play tennis now, it was my first time here and I loved it.”  She has to admit though, that it’s the people she’s sharing these new experiences with that are making her stay here so amazing, “My best experience. I think is the people here, like my family and friends in school, the people here help me with everything.”

When Nadine returns to Germany she will have to complete two more years of High School and is not sure what she wants to be when she is older, “After High School I will go to university, but I don’t know what I want to study yet, I’m thinking about being a police cop; I worked two weeks at a police station and enjoyed it.” 

She will be greatly missed by her classmates, new found friends, and her host sister Lisa Poyar, “Nadine is the cutest little sister I could ever have.  She’s a perfect fit for our family.”