AFS Student Profile: Toni de Marti

Antonio de Marti Olius, better known as Toni, was born on August 27, 1996. He comes from Barcelona, Spain, a city of about 1.6 million people. Toni usually lives with his parents, brother, and sister in an apartment downtown.  “The weather is always warm, so we usually sit outside on benches. I can also long board to get wherever I need to be,” says Toni. He enjoys playing acoustic guitar, playing foosball, and going to clubs with friends to dance. Tonihas also volunteered with helping disabled people in his community for four years. The Beatles are his favorite artists, and he is partial to other rock music.

His first languages were Catalan and Spanish. Catalanis part of a separate culture within the old Spanish kingdom. Throughout many years the Catalan culture remained hidden because of the Spanish imperialism, but in the 19th century there was a cultural revolution in Catalonia and the feeling of another cultural identity was born.

Mr. Fronk expounds, “Toni has been a great addition to the class. He has a great sense of humor, is truly concerned with doing the best he can, and has extensive historical knowledge. I cannot wait until we study Imperialism and the Spanish-American War, as he has already expressed a desire to share his, as well as the Spanish, perspective of events.”

Furthermore, Toni has been studying English for 14 years and French for 5. He even extended his study of French by staying with a host family in France for a month.Toni previously went to a Catholic school that enrolled students aged 3 through 18 that totaled 1200 students. He explains, “Everything is bigger in America. Also, my school did not have the spirit that Chardon has because the sports are not connected to the school. Students would never go to games to support their classmates.”

Another difference between the United States and Spain is that in Spain, there is no nationalism, no pledge of allegiance, and Spain’s national anthem is played.  Spanish flags are rarely displayed, other than in front of the Parliament building. However, Toni does find American’s fanatic love of football similar to the packed soccer stadiums of Spain. When asked what he misses most about home, he responds, “That’s easy—my eleven-year-old brother, Pep.”

Toni chose to travel to America because his grandmother, father, and three uncles had all been foreign exchange students in America. “They always talk about how much fun they had, so I wanted to experience it for myself, “explains Toni. It is quite a change to now live in the Snow Belt, as he has only seen snow four times at home.

His favorite class at Chardon is AP physics because he is looking to study physics in college and perhaps become a teacher or professor. Toni joined the Chardon Boys Soccer team, but unfortunately pulled a tendon and was only able to play a few games. Regardless, he enjoyed getting to know the team. Toni adores chocolate milkshakes and has tried his first of many in America.  When asked about his favorite American experience so far, he replies, “There are too many to choose from. I find it amazing to live in another culture, and I have learned so much already from Americans and other AFS students from around the world.”Also, Toni is looking forward to visiting WashingtonD.C. and New York City in a few months.

Senora Neuman, the AFS advisor articulates, “Toni is very mature, funny, and well-adjusted. The Rus family (his host family) loves him, and he fits in very well. Toni is involved, works hard, and is an outstanding representative of Spain!”