In Memoriam: Mr. Bill Troup

In Memoriam: Mr. Bill Troup

Many current students may not have heard of retired Chardon High School Teacher, Mr. Troup, but he is definitely a man worth learning about. Mr. Troup passed away on September 18, 2013. He is affectionately remembered by former students and current staff members at Chardon. Mr. Troop got his undergraduate degree at DefianceCollege, and his graduate degree at The University of Toledo. He started his teaching career at Chardon in 1972 and retired in 2005. He taught many classes, some that were very specific and distinctive classes that Chardon does not offer anymore, including World History, European History, Far East History and Russian History. Outside of school, he had a “War games” club that focused on military strategy. He lived in Chardon on Silvia Drive. Many can recall this unique, enthusiastic teacher with fond memories.

Mr. Troop was on the committee that hired our beloved teacher Mr. Cole many years ago. Mr. Troop was first Mr. Cole’s mentor, and then colleague, which turned into a strong friendship. This all started from them teaching a class together. Mr. Cole adds, “Mr. Troop really made history come alive and teaching was truly his whole life.”

The following passages are anecdotes and remembrances from former students and teachers that celebrate the life of Mr. Troop.

Bill Troup was definitely a unique and inspiring teacher, as well as a good and loyal friend. When I told my son, John, that Mr. Troup had passed away, he quickly sent me a text saying, “. I can honestly say he was one of my absolute favorite teachers, probably favorite over all. Just hilarious in class.”  I think John speaks for many. I was able to witness the impact this amazing man had on his students and peers. In the halls of CHS (and at home) I would hear “Troup” stories and quotes.  I recall John, staying up very late with friends, carefully reading and examining their history books, trying to find just one fact they could use to stump Mr. Troup. He had great bonuses if they knew something in the book he didn’t. They’d lose because he knew the answer by heart and, best of all; he had tricked them into learning all that history. Mr. Troup had a way of making history into a fun game.
Esther Neumann – CHS Spanish Teacher

I don’t have any specific stories of Mr. Troup, just that he was so motivated as a teacher. Anyone could tell that he loved his vocation, his chosen path for his life. I do know that Richard and I each had our love of history greatly enhanced by Mr. Troup.  When I look back on my school days, Mr. Troup was one the top three of my most memorable teachers.  I respected him.     Terry Croyle – Former student and parent of former students

I wish I could have taken his classes! I used to sit and listen to his stories long after his students had left the Library, always a willing audience to his humor. He told me that he used to do Russian research at one of the Michigan colleges. He would spend the weekend there combing the archives, as it was the only way to get the information at the time. He wondered if kids realized how lucky they are to have so much information at their fingertips nowadays. As a former student told us – Mr. Troup was the difference between loving your job and doing your job. Bill was a ChardonHigh School institution and left a great legacy. He will be missed. I will smile everytime I think of him!     Linda Ross – CHS Media Specialist

I don’t even know how to put in words all that Bill did for me. He is the reason I have my job. He came over on Christmas Eve several years for dinner. My family got to know and enjoy his stories just as much as I did.      Casey Ptasznik – CHS Social Studies Teacher

His laugh WAS AWESOME!  Infectious is the perfect word.  I truly enjoyed collaborating with him for my senior English classes.  He not only provided me with helpful historical background, but also good fictional reads to accompany the subject – not to mention valued opinion.  Great man!     Dawn Weaver – CHS English Teacher

I can honestly say that I would not be a teacher if it were not for Bill. He was the only teacher that pushed me to write in a history course. When I talk to my classmates about Troup, they can immediately tell a favorite story (Bowling for Tsars), recall a favorite saying (‘puppy kicker’), or just smile and say that Bill was the best of the best! As a colleague for a short time he taught me the differences between the Bluebirds and the Sparrows. I feel blessed to have had him a part of my life!      Ann Grantham – CHS Social Studies Teacher

Unfortunately, I never met Mr. Troup.  I have only heard great things about him as a person and an educator.  What a great legacy he has left us.     Andy Fetchik – CHS Principal

When I remember Bill, the one thing that stands out to me and always will is his passion.  I have a hat that he “gifted” during our annual Holiday party’s gift exchange.  I fought tooth and nail to get this thing in the exchange.  Afterwards, I went over and hung out for a little while and asked him where he got it and for the story behind it.  The long and short of it is that the story itself wasn’t overly exciting, but that never mattered with Bill, the way he told it and his infectious laugh and pure love for story telling (especially History) will stick with me forever.  For those that don’t know – when Bill really, and I mean really, got into a funny story – it was pure enjoyment for everyone within an earshot.  Words will not do justice to his laugh, but those that knew him know very well what I am talking about.  Thanks Bill!     Josh Leikala – CHS Social Studies Teacher

Mr. Troup’s history class was a right of passage into the halls of Chardon High. Once you had him as a teacher, you really knew that you belonged here. It was not unusual to overhear, “Did you hear the one about Hans and Franz in Germany?” in the cafeteria at lunchtime, or during study halls. “What about Mad King George III, who talked to trees?” Troup’s stories were told with care, and humor, and great detail, and polished delivery. He expected the same from his students in their papers and tests. After sitting in Bill Troup’s classroom, I was already prepared for a lecture-based class. When I went to college, I was already prepared to sit quietly, take notes, and find the right moment to ask questions in class. I was already prepared to write strong blue book essays (though I didn’t know that’s what they would be called). I was already prepared for a lot of things, thanks to his class, his teaching. I am proud to be able to say that I am a student of Mr. Troup. He brought a love of learning to many students that couldn’t be reached by other teachers. He treated high school students like adults, and told us stories like we were children. His legacy leaves a large impression in the fabric and makeup of CHS. WE are that legacy, and are very lucky to count such a dedicated educator among those who spent their time teaching us. It is with gratitude, love, and sadness that we say goodbye.     Sarah (Ross) Weber -Class of 2005 – Hilltop Echo Alumni

His retirement was too soon for most of us, but we understood that time was no longer his friend. He was truly an amazing teacher, colleague and human being. He had a knack for interpreting details with a level of humor and insight as only Bill could describe. His words were colorful, captivating and delightful.     Tammy Segulin – CHS Math Teacher

I also loved his humor, and creative stories…his approach helped me understand World History. His laugh, ear to ear smile, and dedication will never be forgotten. We are blessed to have been part of his story.     Douglas Murray – CHS Assistant Principal

I told the news to my husband who, as a CHS student, also had Mr. Troup for history and he paid Bill a huge compliment by saying that he “could always make history interesting and fun for teenagers” — seemed Bill was able to achieve what we all look to do on a daily basis.             Julie Kolcum – CHS English Teacher

After my first class with Mr. Troup, I signed up for every class I could get. Still, almost ten years later, I use vocabulary from his class. I can identify “Puppy kickers” and “Kitten squeezers” Haley Jonovich (Herner) CHS Class of 2004

Three words for those that knew him:  Attila the Hun!!!  He loved to tell that story.  The world is smaller without him.  I’m sad I haven’t seen him the last couple of years.  He was a GREAT leader to the new teachers.  His Legacy will last for many decades to come.     Rob Mizen – CHS Science Teacher

To all of you students who started at Chardon High after 2006 (which should be all of you), you have my sympathy. You’ve been cheated out of a phenomenal learning experience by nothing but time. I’m sure the history teachers you have now are good, or even great, but they are nothing compared to Troup. No one is. Mr. Troup was one of those rare occurrences throughout history where it was the right person at the right time. His knowledge of history was terrifyingly vast, it seemed like there was nothing he didn’t know. Because of that he earned the devotion and loyalty of his students. His classes would sell out like concerts every school year. His courses were rigorous and in-depth, but effortless at the same time. Mr. Troup had a way of conveying history where note taking and reading from the text book was optional. You just learned it by sitting there and listening, and he made history stick in your head like you knew it all along. My senior year was his last year at Chardon. I made sure I took every class he offered, not because I needed the credits but because I could and I wanted to. They were that good. Oh our last day I was sitting in his room a couple periods before school let out and I remember chatting with him about his retirement. He told me to raid his book collection and take anything that I found interesting because he already had enough books at home. I couldn’t grab enough books. I’m sure some teachers are cursing me now because I got first dibs. Sorry but I couldn’t pass it up. My arms were completely loaded and my Chairman Mao book bag was busting at its seams (from the books and poor Chinese stitching) and I remember walking out and thinking “This is the end of an era. I feel sorry for all of these kids. They’ll never have the best AP Euro class ever.” So, along with my deepest sympathy to his family and friends, I also extend my sympathy to the students of Chardon High who never got to take a Troup class. You have no idea what you missed.     Stephen Kormos – CHS Class of 2006

My connection with Mr. Troup came when I was subbing prior to joining the CHS staff full time. I got the call to sub for Bill’s class and his lesson plan said simply “Discuss the rise of Hitler pre- 1939”. Near his desk were volumes of notes on the subject which, as I found out later, he never had to reference while lecturing. I tried to “fake it” for a while in his first class until they politely told me they would rather wait for Mr. Troup to come back. I told him about it later and he laughed and said “That’s OK, you’ll get there eventually.” If only I could… Allen Herner – CHS English Teacher

I also was a student of Mr. Troup’s History Class and all three of my children had him as a teacher also. He will be missed and all his stories and the way he told them. I remember one about “crispy creatures”. His Legacy will last forever in our thoughts.      Josie Culliton – Director of Nutrition Services

The man was sheer artistry in the classroom and made the difficult look easy; he knew his subject and could make it live unlike anyone else. My daughter loved his class. Bill also had a way of helping his colleagues keep everything in perspective. If you were fortunate enough to have had the same lunch period to dine with him everyday, you walked out of the lunchroom feeling rejuvenated and ready to take on the afternoon, guaranteed. (As a side note, a few of you elders may remember that having Norm Newton in there with Bill during lunch was like hitting the jackpot, a double whammy of  tag team humor with no shop talk, and helped to keep everybody sane and grounded). We’ll miss you, Bill.     David R. Loe, Ph.D. – CHS Foreign Language Teacher

I found Bill to be the kindest gentleman; always supportive and willing to listen.  Any time I had the fortune of spending with Bill, was uplifting. My son, Matthew had Bill and absolutely loved his class.  Bill had a way of making history come alive.  We were fortunate as a school district to have him. He will be sorely missed!  Ms. Diane Robbinson – CHS Business/Technology/FCS Teacher

Bill was an original who had the ability to do things his way and get away with it. Two of my favorite Troup stories: When preparing his students for a tornado drill, Bill would remind his students to “duck and cover” their heads with their textbooks. Bill would emphasize to the students that they were to use their assigned textbooks. Why? He would explain that after the tornado hits and the rescuers are searching through the ruble, they would be able to “pry the textbook from your hands and identify your body”. Bill would get offended at superintendents who would not call a snow day when the weather was particularly bad. He would begin by describing his short, yet terrifying trip in and then describe a scene that would result in trouble for the superintendent. The scene was something like this: A large yellow school bus full of Chardon elementary students was flipped over in a ditch on the outskirts of town. The screaming children, clutching their lunchboxes with their faces plastered against the frozen windows were trapped while the ruptured gas tank slowly dripped gasoline on to the hot muffler.
Bill was an amazing man! He will be missed!   Mike Combs – CHS English Teacher

When I scheduled to take World History with Mr. Troup, I had been told by my older brother that Mr. Troup was the best teacher at CHS. Little did I know that I was going to spend the next school year looking forward to attending my daily history lesson! Mr. Troup made history come off the page with his charismatic, imaginative and effervescent way of ‘storytelling.’ Mr. Troup didn’t just “teach” history, he told history like an elder passing on his knowledge through oral history. Mr. Troup introduced us to events like, “Knock, knock!” “Who is it?” “It’s the Inquisition!!”,  and made the trenches of WWI come alive while talking about Ricky the Rat or Freddy the Flea. Each nation’s troops had exactly two men- for example- when he spoke of the German forces he always called them: Hanz and Franz or the French as Jacques and Pierre. Mr. Troup made history such an enjoyable and unexpected part of my day. You never knew what story he would tell next! I enjoyed his classes so much that I scheduled a second year of his specialized history courses! Mr. Troup was not only a blessing to Chardon but, in my opinion, a gift from the “Teaching Gods.” He was a man who truly loved what he did and it showed through his work. He will be missed.    Bethany Johnson, CHS Class of 2006