Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

The Chardon High School staff and student body always wondered who would replace Frank Hall as the new study hall teacher once he left. After knowing the position was open, Ty Merkle, a 2007 CHS grad decided to apply for the job.  Ty played football for the Hilltoppers during his days here. He started both ways for Chardon his Junior year at Wide receiver and Cornerback. He played with the future NFL lineman Joe Madsen. After his Hilltopper days, Ty Merkle went on to college at Baldwin Wallace where he played football. Ty only played his freshman year there as a cornerback until he decided to give up football and focus more on his degree. Ty graduated from Baldwin Wallace in 2011 with a major in sports management and a minor in coaching and business management. After college Ty Merkle was looking for a job which he loved and what better than coming back to his alma mater and coaching. Knowing he needed a job, Ty decided to email Bob Francis, who is a coach for the Hilltoppers asking if he could help out with lifting and practices for the football team. Ty set up a meeting with Bob Francis and the head coach of Chardon, Mitch Hewitt, to talk about what he could bring to the Chardon Football program. Coach Hewitt was extremely excited and accepting to let an Alumni come back and help coach. He’s been with the team for three years now and is doing a tremendous job coaching the defensive backs. He was honored enough to also receive Frank Halls old job as the new study hall teacher.

Chardon also needed someone to fill in for the departed Assistant Principal, Michael Sedlak. Before coming to Chardon Doug Murray taught Senior Theology at NDCL. He also Coached baseball there, too winning two state Championships. Doug Murray, who has been a Chardon resident his whole life, decided to jump on this as quickly as he could. Doug was born January 18, 1978. He grew up in Chardon and went to Park Elementary then to St. Mary’s, and of course Chardon High. At Chardon Doug was involved in many athletic programs. Four years in baseball, one year in Basketball, and one year in Football. His basketball and football career were ended early because in his freshman year he tore his ACL/PCL in a freshman football game which affected his mobility in contact sports. Doug graduated from Chardon in 1996 and went on to college at St. Vincent in Latrobe Pennsylvania. He studied Religious Education and Graphic Design. He played collegiate baseball at SVC for 4 years. He started at first base and closed games as a pitcher. He went back to Ursuline College because of its strong educational programs and graduated in the spring of 2012 with a 3.99 GPA. “Chardon and NDCL aren’t that different, kids are kids and good teaching is good teaching”,said Doug Murray. He wanted to come back to Chardon because it’s his alma mater and it is where he met his wife and had some of the best memories of his life. “I am here for the long run”, said Doug Murray. We are glad these two men decided to come back to their alma maters and help Chardon become a better school.