Scholarship: Maggie Grau, model of academic excellence

The Hilltop Echo staff voted Maggie Grau as the best student to represent scholarship for the class of 2013. Maggie was born on January 24, 1995, and she attended Maple Elementary before moving on to ChardonMiddle School and ChardonHigh School. Students and staff who know Maggie undoubtedly acknowledge her amazing intelligence and academic achievements, but Maggie is also well known for her friendly personality. Over the past four years, Maggie has had a very positive impact on the ChardonHigh School community.

Maggie is the best type of student. Mrs. Rohr, Maggie’s chemistry teacher for the past two years, described her as “a true seeker of knowledge.” Rohr said of Maggie, “Besides her high ability, she has the internal motivation to keep learning for learning’s sake.” Fellow senior Sebastian Diaz-Rodriguez explained, “Even though Maggie is naturally smart, she still strives to learn more than she is taught or needs to know.” ChardonHigh School does not offer an AP Biology class, but Maggie took the time to teach herself the material and took the AP Biology test this year. This is just one example of how Maggie is driven to learn more than is required. One of Maggie’s close friends, senior Jessie Parker, said of her studies, “She grasps things quickly and excels at what she does. She also dedicates a lot of time to her studies.” Parker also added that Maggie “has a passion for learning.” Spanish teacher Señora Neumann has had Maggie in her class for the past two years, and she said, “Maggie is always prepared for class, and she works well with her peers as well as alone.”

While Maggie has been a great student in school, she also uses her talents and abilities in after school activities. Maggie has competed in Science Olympiad, made it to the second round of Chemistry Olympiad, helped the Envirothon team make it to states, and served as a National Honors Society officer. When asked how she balances her busy schedule, Rohr suggested, “Learning comes so easily that it is not stressful to participate in a lot of academic activities. She relishes learning.” Diaz-Rodriguez added, “She does not seem to waste any time, and she still gets a good night’s sleep.”

While Maggie’s intelligence is an important quality, her friendliness is one of her most prevailing assets. Diaz-Rodriguez pointed out, “Maggie is one of the nicest people I know. She is always willing to help me with chemistry.” Rohr called her “a good team member” and said that “people don’t feel as intimidated by her intellect” because of her friendliness. Neumann said, “Her honesty and sincerity are commendable. She is one of the most thoughtful and kind high school girls I know.” Parker expressed, “Maggie is extremely friendly and a genuinely kind and compassionate person. She includes everyone, and she’s always happy. She’s a fun person to be around.”

Maggie will undoubtedly be successful in her future. Next year Maggie will be attending the OhioStateUniversity and majoring in biomedical science. Maggie was accepted into the major as one of only twenty-two “high ability incoming freshmen.” Once Maggie has completed school, she intends to do medical research in infectious disease. “I’m fascinated by infectious agents,” she said, adding, “I would be very excited to help large groups of people.” Rohr believes the goal is a perfect match for her, saying, “She will be best in a research setting because of her curiosity.”

Maggie has had a successful high school career, and she has a very bright future ahead of her. She would like to thank her class, teachers, family, and friends for helping her along the way. Maggie’s advice to underclassmen is, “Be nice to each other and be helpful.”