Alumni Support: with us in spirit

Alumni+Support%3A+with+us+in+spirit+

During a tragic time that called for the unity of an entire community, those who formerly attended Chardon High School also felt the heartache. The problem for them was that their hearts were in Chardon, but they were elsewhere.

Many recent alumni who are still in college felt misplaced and even lost because they were not able to be in their beloved hometown. Most unable to return home the week of February 27, wanted to come home to their family and friends, but instead found alternatives to show support for Chardon. Many Chardon alumni currently in college gathered to show respect for their hometown at their selected schools by holding vigils. Among the schools who took the initiative to honor Chardon were the University of Cincinnati and Ohio University.

Ohio Universityquickly felt the heartache of the events, and gathered as soon as possible. 2011 Chardon graduate Cody Adams said, “The support of over 100 students was entirely unexpected and came together in less than twenty four hours. People who were far removed from the ordeal stepped up at the vigil to offer condolences in a seriously heart-warming show of compassion,” said Adams.

Approximately 70 Chardon alumni attend Ohio University, and almost every one of them united at the candlelight vigil. “On top of that, regardless of how recently you attended Chardon, all of the graduates were there with a shoulder to lean on.”

At the University of Cincinnati, 2011 Chardon graduate Michael Kunzi attended, there was “a ceremony where they read scripture, sang hymns, and of course discussed the magnitude of the tragedy.” There are only about 8 former Chardon students at the University of Cincinnati, but all of them were at the ceremony.

“It was difficult knowing our home was grieving and there was not a whole lot we could do to help them, other than show our deepest condolences,” said Kunzi. These two colleges and others all around the country with Chardon graduates felt the pain our community did, and did the best they could to help heal the wounds.