The Lego Movie: Anything BUT for Kids

You have most certainly heard of The Lego Movie’s success by now, be it from friends, family, or critics. Nearly everyone who has seen it has given the movie extremely positive reviews. However, there is still a fairly large amount of people who have yet to see it, most of whom have excuses such as, “I’ll watch it later,” or “I doubt it’s that good.” A word of advice before reading the end of this review: go watch the movie as soon as humanly possible. While all movies are best seen spoiler-free, The Lego Movie absolutely needs to be watched with very minimal knowledge of the movie. The movie can still be enjoyable with spoilers, but it is not as enjoyable as a blind viewing. Now, if you are here, either you have yet to heed my warnings anyways or you, for some odd reason, are concerned as to my actual opinion on the movie.

Well, here’s my review: It’s the best movie ever made. Period. But why? It’s a kid’s movie! Right? Wrong. While this movie has been heavily marketed towards children, it is anything but a film designed for children. Most of the jokes will go over their heads, and the plot, to them, will consist of the following: LEGO! So then how is this movie directed towards everyone else? That would be through two things, which are nostalgia and the ability to relate to the characters, settings, and situations.

Of course, there is also the reason stated by junior Frankie Pincard, who says “It’s so cute!”

The joy of this movie is to be able to relate to nearly everything in it, including the references and its unique and daring sense of humor. It pays tribute to everything from Starbuck’s with “overpriced coffee” to other forms of popular media, like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, DC Comics superheroes, and even The Simpsons. However, just references will not catapult a piece of cinematography to being a piece of art.

Here’s the kicker- the nostalgia. Literally everyone has played with Lego. Everyone. Whether they followed the instructions or let their imagination run wild, everyone has enjoyed creating their own little world. And that’s what this movie is, your dream world. Everyone’s dream world. In this hilarious adventure following the misadventures of Emmet, ordinary Lego construction worker #304, you will be taken across cities, the Old West, oceans, the clouds, and, of course, a giant tower of doom and evil. Every character is relatable, enjoyable, and quotable. It’s an absolute must-see.