Wolf Finally Drops

Tyler, The Creator’s third full studio length album, entitled Wolf was finally released on April 2, 2013. In just a few days, the album quickly reached the top of the iTunes charts and reached number three on the Billboard 200. It sold 89,895 copies in the United States; and is definitely still rising. The album got relatively positive reviews from so-called music critics, and the content of it is much more upbeat musically. Regarding the lyrics, they explain a lot about Tyler as a person and do not tend to stray in the same path as his first two albums, Bastard and Goblin. “This album is awesome; I do not see any reason why anyone would dislike it.” Senior Calvin Bruening stated.

Tyler produced the album himself and has proven that his talent is doing nothing but evolving and growing. Like most Odd Future artists, he featured fellow musicians from the rap collective on the album. Earl Sweatshirt, Domo Genesis, Mike G, Hodgy Beats, FrankOcean, Left Brain, L-Boy, Taco and Jasper are all members who are on the album. Non-members include, Pharrell, Lætitia Sadier, Erykah Badu and former member, Casey Veggies. He released two singles, “Domo 23” and “Bimmer” from the 18-tracked album. “I really like the song Bimmer, it’s catchy.” Senior Patty Leistiko stated. Not only does Wolf wrap up the story that Bastard and Goblin started, but it also unfolds a new story line with perspectives that are told by Tyler’s alter egos, Wolf Haley and Sam, who is a person Tyler made up in his head. He also adds two new characters to the story line as well, Slater, who we find out is his bike and Salem, who is some girl that both Sam and Wolf are fighting over throughout the album. Senior Rachel Glaser said, “It’s so good, I love it!”

Tyler writes his music as if they are movies, so it explains a lot of the themes in the music he produces. Most people fail to get past the lyrical grotesqueness of his previous albums, so taking the time to look past the words and focus on the actual production of the music itself is something said people should attempt to do. If found impossible to do, still definitely pick up a copy of Tyler, The Creator’s Wolf and give it a good listening to; the lyrics are appropriate for people who get offended easily.