Vladimir Putin: Quiet Now, but Still Dangerous

In February, massive protests in Ukraine forced the existing pro-Russian government out of office and ushered in a new era in Ukraine.  However, many in Ukraine, especially in the eastern half of the country, supported the old government, and protests against the new government were ignited by a bill signed into office stating that the sole state language at each government level would be Ukrainian, as most people in that region speak Russian.

This provoked Vladimir Putin and Russia to invade the pro-Russian peninsula.   Many Western countries saw this as an act of war, but no country has taken any drastic measures against Russia exempt impose sanctions against Putin.  Putin on the other hand is sitting in a position of power, after just hosting a successful Olympics and taking over Crimea.  Putin has also built himself an impressive cult of personality, so impressive it even caught the eye of some here in Chardon.

“(Putin) is pretty cool, man; he’s hunting tigers with his shirt off man, that’s pretty cool.”  Sophomore Cole Schiness said, also adding that Obama wouldn’t do some of the more risky and daring things Putin does.  The European Union and the United States have been perceived as being slow and weak when dealing with Putin, some speculate this is because of Russia’s abundant natural resources including oil.  There is also an inherent danger when dealing with Putin and his involvement in Ukraine, as any attempt at reclaiming Crimea for the west would most likely invole a counterattack by Putin, where he could gain even more of Ukraine.  CNN Journalist Ulrich Speck says that a crackdown on Crimea from the west would help “Putin’s long term ambition–to bring Ukraine into a Moscow led federation—very much alive.”

Putin is an ex-KGB agent, an old Soviet spy agency famous for doing anything to get what they want.  While Putin is not necessarily being that bold, he has shown that he is a definite menace to western governments, and is not afraid to flaunt his ego and his power.  He has already come to the Crimean peninsula and taken that over with little resistance, and most likely he wants more land.  Even though he has been quiet for the last few months, Putin may already be planning his next move in order to gain land and resources for his mother country.