Winter is on its Way!

Winter is on its Way!

Winter is right around the corner as temperatures drop and snow flakes start to sprinkle down. Chardon isn’t called the snow capital of Ohio for nothing, and this year the long-range predictions are saying that it’s going to be above average snowfall and cold temperatures. This means it’s time to get your skis out and start preparing for the next months of mother natures wrath of weather. For many people, winter is their favorite time of year with Christmas, New Years, and Valentine’s Day all falling in the winter months. With cold weather, you have to dress appropriately. This means hats, gloves, sweatshirts, jackets, and boots too. Make sure you are always staying warm, so you do not get sick or something worse for not dressing for the elements. Also, remember that you will find better deals on winter apparel when you shop before the season actually starts.

Sophomore Cooper Snyder said “Winter is my favorite time of year! I have already bought a couple of jackets and jeans for these cold days.”

There are many activities to do in the winter. There is skiing and snowboarding, snowmobiling, making snowmen, sled riding, and ice skating, just to name a few. With Alpine Valley Ski Resort right around the corner, there should be no excuses for nothing to do.

Jake Kakora, a sophomore, stated “I love to shred the hills at Alpine on the weekend.” He later said “I can’t wait for the opening of the totally redone Alpine.”

Andrew Pikus, also a sophomore, said “We have just bought a snowmobile and I’m totally pumped to test it out as soon as we get enough snow.”

While winter is very fun, and a great time of year, it can also be very dangerous especially on the roads. You have to use caution while driving on the slick, icy streets. Make sure to leave yourself plenty of extra time so you can take your time getting from point A to point B. Also, you should leave plenty of room between your car and the one in front of you. Remember that your car can’t stop on a dime on slick, snow-covered roads. In case of emergency, you should pack yourself a blanket, snow scraper, jumper cables, shovel, and snacks.

Ty Mercle, teacher at Chardon High School, explained “I always have a shovel and window scrapper on hand in my car. I also have some granola bars in my car in case I am ever  stranded.”

Have fun out there in the snow but remember to stay safe and be prepared in those cold temperatures. Lastly, remember to wear your pajamas inside out for those SNOW DAYS!