The light of one heartbeat

We all know what happened on Monday, February 27.  The calm, peaceful world that we all live in was shaken.  In tragic situations such as this, communities react differently.  Chardon reacted as the strong, unified community that we all knew deep down we could be.  On that Monday evening, just thirteen hours from the event itself, a candle light vigil was organized by Chardon High School students on the Chardon square.  The church-organized vigil at St. Mary’s Church had already been scheduled for the following night, but this was not soon enough for the hurting students of CHS. 

When I personally arrived at the square on Monday night, I had two initial thoughts. The first – it was freezing outside.  The second was not kept in.  I could not help but utter the single word, “Wow.”  Although I was not expecting a small turn-out, I had no way of being prepared for the giant mass of Hilltoppers, past and present, who stood frozen in the cold to mourn their losses.

Our own Chardon Square was a sea of love, pride, hope, and, of course, heavy grief.  As the crowd stood in silence, volunteers made their way to the microphone to give their respect and thanks to those lost and those still with us.  Even I found it necessary to say a few words and give a special thanks to Coach Frank Hall and Mr. Joseph Ricci.  The term “open mic” does not accurately convey the events of that night.  Senior Matt Leskovec made it quite clear to me that this was one of the most emotional nights of his life by saying, “Honestly, I don’t know how long I have until I run out of tears.” While standing in a state of shock, I watched people sing, pray, and just cry in front of a community who had never been more willing to lend a hand or a shoulder to cry on.

A few hours later, when the ceremony came to a close, I feel as though I was not the only one who left with a mindset forever changed.  This was the moment I realized what “One Heartbeat” really was.  All the spirited catch phrases finally had meaning.  At the end of each day it will continue to be true that we are Chardon and we will forever be Hilltoppers with the same, singular heartbeat that unites us.