The 12th Man

By Cooper Snyder, Staff Writer

In their seventh year as an organized group, the Chardon Crazies have been up to their usual antics: taking opponents by storm as an overwhelming presence, aside from the actual football team itself. Lead by senior Dillion Coughlin, the Crazies have received a countless number of compliments from opponents, including West Geauga running back, Abdul Levy.

After the game on August 29th, the senior captain took to Twitter with the following quote: “The Crazies are the best student section I’ve seen #Respect”. This comment came after a strong showing by the Crazies, with what seemed like 300 dressed in black from head to toe to cheer on the Toppers.

For week two, the football team traveled to Kenston High School, which means the Crazies did as well. Many local high school football analysts picked Kenston to win, including the News Herald. However, in typical Chardon fashion, both the football team, as well as the Crazies, used this as motivation. The Crazies poured into Kenston, forming what became a very impressive army of red. The team seemed to feed off of the energy displayed by the Crazies, and played an outstanding game. Lead by a great defense and two passing touchdowns from Patrick Sullivan to Drew McCartney and Christian Ross, as well as a game-clinching touchdown run by Joe Grippe, the Toppers took down the Bombers 19-7. The Crazies also brought their A-game. With approximately 200 members, they were as loud and energetic as possible.

The Crazies have also received the recognition of area schools’ student sections, such as the Kenston Krazies (unoriginal name), as well as big name productions and TV personalities, such as CBS Sports, 60 Minutes, and Montel Williams. Following the prison break that occurred on September 11th, 2014, the Crazies played a large part in moving past it. As a result of this incident, the theme of last Friday’s game at Canton South was changed from a neon-out to a classic red-out. However, Canton South High School is over an hour away with cooperative traffic. Fortunately, Chardon Administration offered free transportation in the form of Spirit Buses. Two buses were available to the first 100 Crazies to sign up. With the help of the Crazies, the football team rolled to a 40-20 victory.

It’s evident that the Crazies aren’t your typical student section. With the amount of work and planning that is to put in to each game, the Crazies are the closest thing to professional fans as you will find at the high school level.