Coach Hall moves to Lakeside

Coach Hall moves to Lakeside

Roger Davis, Copy Editor

As many have already heard, our beloved football coach and study hall teacher Frank Hall is leaving Chardon to take the position of football coach and counselor at Lakeside High School in Ashtabula.  Hall is going to become a counselor for at risk youth where he hopes to show kids “how to live right” while stressing the importance of character.  When the job opened up this year, Coach Hall was the first choice.  The principal of LHS is a former football coach and thinks very highly of Hall, as he is an alumni and past player.  Coach Hall is excited at the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students and athletes at his home town school.  “It is really tough in Ashtabula right now.  Kids need someone to take care of them.  There are lots of great people around Chardon to take care of the kids here and I feel that I am more needed at Lakeside,” Hall explained about his decision to leave.

It was not an easy choice for Hall to leave Chardon by any means, however. He elaborated, “The people here have made it hard to leave.  I have formed great relationships and I hope that they continue during my career at Lakeside.”

It would appear that while most students here at Chardon are saddened by Hall’s move to Lakeside, they also understand what he hopes to accomplish at Lakeside and respect his decision to leave.  There are no hard feelings here.  Travis Ritt is a senior athlete who has built a great relationship with Hall over his years playing football and attending CHS.  “Hall leaving will be hard for everyone.  He’s a great guy you can go to and talk to about anything.  Hopefully the kids over at Lakeside will see that and take full advantage of him.  He’ll be greatly missed but the memories will last a lifetime,” Ritt proclaimed.

Coach Hall has had a big influence on senior football player Jeff Vlk as well.  “A large heartbeat of the school is leaving and will be missed, best of luck to him with his career and team over at Lakeside,” Vlk said, full of emotion.

Senior Jack Lemaster acknowledges his coach’s impact on his life, commenting, “Coach Hall was a tremendous man that taught us a lot about not only football, but being great young men.  He changed our lives for the better and hopefully those in Lakeside will experience a similar feeling.”

Anyone that knows Coach Hall would bet he will be successful in his efforts to impact the lives of Lakeside High students.  Hall explained his goals during his time at LHS, “I want to help the kids in the long run.  They need to hear about character and honor and pride more often.”

In terms of football, Hall has already been making big changes at Lakeside.  He has his players hitting the weight room hard already, attempting to start building his new dynasty in Ashtabula.  “There are questions about whetherLakeside can compete in the PAC because it is such a physical conference.  We need to change that in the weight room.  I want to bring a culture of earning things.  Nothing is given.”

Of course, students will not be the only ones missing Hall next year; his fellow football coaches will also be feeling the pain of Hall’s absence.  Ty Merkle is a young coach in his early years as a varsity football and baseball coach.  He has learned a lot under his mentor, saying, “I learned a lot from Coach Hall: How to be a better coach and connect with the student athletes, but more importantly, how to be a better man.  It is sad to know he is leaving the Hilltoppers for that green and gold team, but you have to be happy for him.  It is a great opportunity for him to become a head coach and I wish the best for him.  If Lakeside’s program can be turned around, Coach Hall is the one to do it.”

Over the last two seasons, head varsity football coach Mitch Hewitt and Hall have formed a strong bond and become very close. “I am losing a best friend, not a coach,” he explained. He expressed his mixed emotions regarding Hall’s departure saying, “Anytime you lose a good person to another program you’re disappointed, but at the same time you’re happy for that individual and it also speaks highly of the program that a coach from your staff would be offered such an opportunity.”  When asked if he thinks Hall has positively effected Chardon High School, Hewitt quickly retorted, “Silly question.  Find me one person who thinks he has not.”

“Lakeside is blessed to have a man of such integrity, work ethic and genuine concern for seeing kids develop into better people. There is no doubt that Coach Hall will have a strong and lasting effect on that team, school, and community,” he added.

Coach Hall’s absence has raised questions about who will be replacing his position here at Chardon.  After all, Hall was a great offensive coordinator as well as a great leader; it seems impossible to fill his shoes.  Hewitt remains confident in his coaching staff however, saying “There is no doubt he will be missed and that good coaches are hard to find, but Chardon is blessed to have people willing to pick up where Coach Hall left off. This program will never be about one coach – it’s much bigger than that.”

All of us here at CHS owe Coach Frank Hall our gratitude.  He has taught us many lessons about football and life.  Coach Hall has helped turn me from a young and immature sophomore football player into a man.  All of us here at Chardon want to say thank you Coach Hall, we love you and good luck at Lakeside next year!