That Time Of Year

As football season comes to a close, senior Mike Connick makes the transition from skilled defensive back to the natural, dominant Chardon Hilltopper wrestler that he is. Chardon Wrestling is a member of the Ohio High School Athletic Association and competes in the Premier Athletic Conference (PAC). During last year’s 2013-2014 season, it wasn’t until late season in districts that Connick fell, ending his junior year with an impressive record of 37 wins and a mere 12 losses.

When asked what the team’s goals, as well as his own individual goals were for the upcoming 2014-2015 season, Connick had this to say,

“We are in good hands with the experienced staff and seniors we have this year. There are many committed athletes in the program, and I know that we will put in the work necessary to put us in a position where we are confident enough to win in the district tournament. As for me, with it being my senior year, I will try my best to go out with a ‘bang’ and advance farther than I did last year.”

Mike is uncertain on what his wrestling career will be post-high school. He recognizes the possibility of extending his wrestling life to John Carroll, however, hopes to attend Ohio State University during the fall of 2015.

Junior for the upcoming 2014-15 season, Evan Hornyak, exclaims, “The team is working hard in the room everyday in preparation to get ready for the Solon Tournament.  We have a young team but have the skill necessary to make it a successful season with the long season ahead.”

The first invitational tournament to kick off the season will be hosted by Solon foon December, 5, 2014 at 3:30 PM Eastern Standard Time. Be sure to come out and support the boys as they compete in the long season to come.