The Silence is Broken

John Kuntz

by Joe Cyvas

On a cold September night in Lima, Ohio, one could say a Pandora’s Box was opened in the small city of Chardon, Ohio. It was the night that convicted murderer, Tj Lane escaped from a correctional facility in Lima.

When citizens of all ages heard this shocking news, panic broke out. High School students took to twitter to express their thoughts. Some wishing horrible things upon the attention-pursuing escapee, some praying for the misguided teen, and some even got in their cars and went searching for the wild convict. An example of a tweet from that night said “I don’t care if I’ll be out all night, I’m gunna find this pathetic coward.” All sorts of attention was directed on this subject. Even celebrities like Montel Wiliams took action. Williams immediately urged students to remain calm and continued to sooze the nerves of horror stricken people. Montel tweeted on thursday night ”#chardon My heart goes out to ur school tonight. Brings u right back to that day. TJ Lane isn’t what ur school is. Hang in there.” Citizens of Chardon and neighboring cities, either went to bed praying to read the headline tomorrow morning, “Tj lane captured.”  Others staying up until Tj was eventually captured around 1:30p.m. While most people were shaken, the Chardon football team had a business trip tomorrow morning to focus on….

At 11am, the Chardon football team assembled in the gym. Mr. Fetchik spoke to the team, asking if we needed anything. The team simply said no, They were ready. Immediately coach hewitt reassured that they were focused. The team split up into position groups and expressed anything that anyone was feeling. The coaches spoke to the players about unity. Expressing that “we, the community, anyone, can do anything unified.” The team’s motto for that day was unity. The brothers filled up the busses along with there one sister who was also there kicker, Riley Tatonettti. They were waved goodbye bye staff members and some students. On there way to the football hall of fame. Excited yet focused, the busses were quiet. Some sleeping, others quietly chatting, joking around and Joe Grippe just being himself; making a tent within the seats drinking from a gallon of apple juice…. The usual. Once the players arrived at the Football Hall of Fame, it was business from there. Dressed in chardon apparel, the Hilltoppers swarmed the Hall of Fame. Inspiring stories getting the players in game mode; Senior Ryan Doyle said, “I was inspired and was ready to do something big tonight.” The players, one by one reentered the bus. They were headed for the stadium to play there week 3 game against Canton South. Canton has refused to play Chardon previous years but has finally agreed to this year. Why, you might ask? Coach Bob Francis says, “ Either A. They have a bad team this year, or B. They think they can kick our butts! You decide!”  As he rallied the players in the lockerroom! The players stretched and went through regular pre game walk throughs. The players murmured words like, “ We are ready.” With an extreme look of focus looking out of there black facemasks. Coach Hewitt gave the team one last rally speech before kickoff. Hewitt said, “Tonight is what you have all worked for, do not let it slip away. Remember, you are all stronger united. Play as a team.” The Hilltoppers quickly took the lead in the first half and came out even harder in the second. Chardon won the contest 40-20. Middle linebacker Joe Malone had a few words to say after the game. “We were ready, we prepared all week for this and came out and executed perfectly. We played as a team just like coach told us to.” Chardon has recently moved to 4-0 after defeating both Canton and North and starts to prepare for the homecoming game against Madison on Monday.