Andrew Gray: Talented in every position

Andrew Gray: Talented in every position

The class of 2014 is full of many special athletes. However, none are quite as spectacular as Andrew (Gary) Gray. Andrew is a two sport letterman in basketball and football. He is a three year letterman in both sports. Perhaps his greatest honor is his all-state nomination in football. Andrew’s nickname “Gary” was given to him by former football coach Ray Enrico, who thought the name on his helmet was Gary not Gray.

Andrew has had an amazing career as a Hilltopper. In football he was a force on both sides of the ball, playing tight end and defensive end. Andrew was one of the best players in northeast Ohio. While in basketball, he was a great contributor playing power forward and center. Gray was also all-conference in basketball his senior year. He left a great impression on his fellow classmates. He showed sportsmanship on and off the field.

I can personally say, “That if you ever needed to count on someone when times were rough Andrew was always there.”

“Andrew is a funny kid who almost always keeps the mood light,” says senior and fellow football teammate, Tony Mueller.

“My favorite memory of Andrew has to be when we were at basketball and he tried to give us a pre-game speech, but it started as ‘gentlemen, we are in a locker room, full of lockers,’” junior Nick Mysyk.

One of his former coaches, Ty Merkle, has a few words of advice for Andrew….

“Keep being a hard worker. You have Division One talent and as long as you keep your head on your shoulders, you will have a successful career like you did at Chardon Schools.”

For Andrew, his football career was the favorite part of his high school experience. His fondest memory of football was the team’s run to the elite eight his junior year. Andrew would like to thank Mr. Britt, Mr. Snyder, and Mr. Hewitt for helping him get through high school and making it into a great time. He also wants to give a special shoutout to his dad for always being there and pushing him to be the best he can be. Andrew is going to attend the University of Maryland to play football and couldn’t be more excited.

“I can’t wait to start playing football again. I’ve been training ever since the end of the basketball season, and I am really ready to get there,” says when asked about college.

As we look back at Andrew’s career at Chardon everyone can’t be more proud and excited for him. So wish him luck on wherever the road takes him.